Hightened security in France...

Old July 13th 05, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mr X

Default Hightened security in France...

I have been travelling to France and driving across France every six
weeks for the last two and a half years.

It was always the case that when you arrived at St Malo, you could drive
out of the port without encountering any French police or any other
official presence.

However on Friday, the situation had changed, and the French police were
looking at the passports of everybody trying to leave the port.

And on Monday I was stopped by the "Duane" on the motorway, and then
upon arriving at St Malo en route to Poole, a large number of French
police were examining all vehicles for the ferry after they had checked
in.

I wonder how long this will carry on for. Just a few weeks, I'll say.
The police looked like they didn't want to be there.

And then for the first time ever, upon arrival in Poole at midnight, all
vehicles were being "checked" by the police.
--
Mr X
Old July 13th 05, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Mr X" wrote in message
[...]

They'll soon get bored with it, it's only so they look like they're doing
something. I commute into London by train and since last Thursday there are
now a couple of local plod on the platform morning and evening. God only
knows what they hope to achieve, they can't even stop bicycles getting
nicked out of the bike racks under their noses. If they want to dish out
overtime it'd be nice if they concentrated on local crime, I can't imagine
the threat of a terrorist attack is any different today than it was last
wednesday, the wednesday before or will be next wednesday.

Last year getting a ferry from Plymouth to Roscoff I was asked a load of
stupid questions by an official which made no difference whatsoever to
whether I boarded or not. ie I was asked if I'd left the camper unattended
anywhere, bloody obvious really. It's a camper and I'm on hols, it must
have been left in dozens of car parks. He then asked if anyone else had had
access to it, I mentioned the garage that had serviced it, my mates who'd
been in it a couple of weeks before, the kids friends etc etc. Finally he
asked if I'd got any sharp objects, I pointed him to the cutlery drawer and
asked how he thought we should prepare food without them. We then boarded
amazed at the stupidity of the whole system.

I'm on a rant now so it's going further off topic. I part own a light
aircraft and a few weeks ago me and the missus flew from a grass field in
Suffolk to an international airport in Europe. We landed, walked across the
apron, wandered around for a while trying to find the customs and
immigration people then went into town. When we returned and before we
could get back to the aircraft we were searched and the wife's bag put
through the x-ray machine. They found some tweezers and a nail file and
asked if I'd accept these on the aircraft. Trying to avoid sarcasm I
pointed out that there were only two of us in it, we were married and if she
wanted to change the destination she only had to ask, not threaten me with a
nail file. The irony of all this though was that we had arrived there and
wandered around airside with no security at all, the sheep in Suffolk not
being interested at all in our departure, yet had to go through this
performance before we could come home, again to a grass airfield in the
middle of nowhere.

You've probably guessed, I don't do bureaucracy very well.

Rgds

Andy R

Old July 13th 05, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Krikey

"Andy R" wrote in message ...
Last year getting a ferry from Plymouth to Roscoff I was asked a load of
stupid questions by an official
I'm on a rant now ...

Allow me to endorse, and add to, your rant. Travelling Portsmouth to Cherbourg in 2003 we were 'questioned' at Portsmouth, the questioner was a girl barely out of her teens, I think (hope) she was merely spouting an official speech. She asked to look inside the caravan but, once the door was opened she saw that she couldn't get in because of items taking up all the floor space (awning, folding chairs, inflatable dingy etc). "Do you have cooking utensils?" she asked (having spotted the hob and oven with an eye as keen as a hawk). On hearing my affirmative reply she asked if we had a carving knife. Again I said yes. Her spiel than went something like this (I paraphrase) "Well, don't let anyone know in case they break in during the voyage and use it to try and hijack the ferry". Yes indeed folks, I'm sure we all agree that the best way to intimidate a crew of hairy matlows is to wave a carving knife at them. We weren't even stopped at all on arrival in Cherbourg. It was the same last year travelling Dover-Calais. On both return journeys we weren't stopped or checked at all. Honestly, we could have entered the UK with Ossama bin Laden and a bunch of rocket launchers in the 'van.
Pssst, anyone wanna buy a kitchen knife?

Old July 13th 05, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Krikey" wrote in message

"Andy R" wrote in message
[...]

This actually requires deeper thought. Consider this;

Q, Who were the people asking these silly questions?
A. HM Customs & excise.

Q. Since when have customs had any responsibility for security?
A. Never

Q. Has Customs been hauled through, and heavily criticised by, the European
courts for randomly pulling returning passengers and searching them for what
they consider 'excessive amounts' of goods?
A. Yes

Q. How do Customs stop getting flack for randomly stopping returning
vehicles?
A. They stop people on the way out, ask a series of silly questions to hide
what is an attempt to find out about the type of trip and person travelling.
Then when they stop these people on the way in they can say it's not random
but based on the 'profile' of the type of person they are gleaned from
previous questionning.

Rgds

Andy R

Old July 13th 05, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Andy R" wrote in message

This actually requires deeper thought.

I agree.

I wonder what would be said if there were an incident, lots of people were
killed and the perpetrators had been treated as casually on entering a
country as has been described. There would be criticism, perhaps by the very
people who object to being stopped and having passports examined (what else
are passports for?)

Mary averse readers stop here

We don't often go abroad but when we have we've never objected to being
searched and questioned. We consider that if we are being scrutinised then
so are others and it's worthwhile on security grounds. We once took large
numbers of boxes of beekeeping books to Co Antrim and every box was opened
and searched on the way back. What's the problem with that?

I tell you, when I've been to USA the searches are far stricter. Perhaps
it's my profile :-)

It's very sad that security measures have to be undergone, I don't think
they're strict enough though.

Mary

Old July 13th 05, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Andy R" wrote in message

[...]

Me and the Mrs are not frequent overseas travellers ,

Recently we travelled to Sweden with the car from Newcastle we were asked to
arrive 1 hour before departure, held in a queue for 40 mins 2 cursory
glances of less that 30 sacs each and we were on board.

Last year as foot passengers we travelled from Dover to Ostend on our return
with 2 very small carrier bags of Belgium chocks at 2 AM it seemed like the
Spanish inquisition , we were very late and had travelled from Ostend to
Calais , by coach , because the ferry had had some technical problems.

Two days before the trip to Ostend we took the Espace ( with most of the
seats missing ) to Calais for the booze crooze !!!, a cursory glance , a
check of the passports and we were waved through , both ways , with one
question , a day out ? , our answer yes and with some booze on the way back

A few months before that we were again in Dover and decided to pop across to
Calais using the Chunnel for an evening meal
Booked for the Shuttle just after 6 PM we duly arrived at the allotted time
to find that train had been cancelled and we were travelling an hour or so
later .
In the intervening hour Immigration ,not customs , went through us like a
dose of salts . there were 7 rather miffed people that day.

Nowadays I'm told if you fly to the States, its arrive at the airport 2
hours before departure and after arrival in the states ,its a 2 hour wait to
get through immigration.

All in all its Easier and NICER to holiday this side of the pond ,
channel

Cheers all

DieSea