Swapping over Carver water heaters

Old July 14th 05, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Thornber

Default Swapping over Carver water heaters

Into the fray of URC again, after a long absence, but here I go...

We just bought a 1991 ABI Award Sunstar to replace our Swift Corniche of
the same age. The reason being that the 12' Swift was a tight fit with
just the two of us, and is pretty much unworkable now that the little
'un is on board. The extra 5' of space that the ABI gives us will make
life a lot easier.

Going over the features of both 'vans, it soon became apparent that
we've taken some steps forward and some steps back. Notably, the ABI
only has the standard Carver Cascade 2, whereas the Swift has the
Cascade 2 GE. We mostly use mains hook-up pitches, and so 240 has
always been our preferred method for heating the water.

What are the practicalities of swapping over, so that the ABI
effectively gets the Cascade 2 GE, leaving the Swift with the Cascade 2?
The wiring side, I could do with my eyes closed, but it's the gas and
plumbing aspects that make me nervous. Can I just swap out the heating
element (I vaguely recall it being an upgrade option on the standard 2)
and if so, am I likely to be able to do this with the units in situ?

If it's a case of unplumbing the gas and water, then removing the units
completely, I might just give it a miss and stick to boiling the kettle
whenever we need hot water while on mains.
--
David Thornber
Old July 14th 05, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David @ Home

"David Thornber" wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
[...]

Hi David, the only difference between the two heaters should be the tank.
The gas and water connections will not need to be remade in any way, just
undone and re secured when refitted.

The only other possible difference will be the connection for the loom for
the gas operation. If that is so then you could change the burner control
modules over or, with the aid of a couple of seal kits you could swap the
tanks over.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Old July 15th 05, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Thornber

In message , "David @ Home"
writes
Hi David, the only difference between the two heaters should be the tank.
The gas and water connections will not need to be remade in any way, just
undone and re secured when refitted.

The only other possible difference will be the connection for the loom for
the gas operation. If that is so then you could change the burner control
modules over or, with the aid of a couple of seal kits you could swap the
tanks over.

Hi David!

Many thanks for your help.

So a straight swap of the whole unit is probably the best way to go.
I'd hoped to get away with just swapping the element for the plug that's
in the end of the tank on the gas only model. Still, I'm not sure
there's clearance around the units (especially on the ABI) to do that
without removing the entire heater anyway.

BTW: The control panels appear identical, so it looks like there's a
good chance the wiring will be compatible.

--
David Thornber

Old July 15th 05, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David @ Home

[...]

The tanks are different, as I said above. The element fits into the bottom
of the end of the tank. The white plastic bit is a cover for the termostat
trip switch and associated wiring. On the non electric model there is only
one hole, that for the connecting rod.

On ABIs, the heater has to come out for any service work.

Remove the cowl, unscrew the heater, disconnect the water and gas fitting
(and the electrical one when taking it out ofthe Swift), gently heat the
sealant around the heater and, with someone pushing from inside, gently pull
the heater out about 6 inches. You can then put your hand underneath and
remove the multiplug for the burner control module.

Cheers

Old July 15th 05, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Thornber

In message , "David @ Home"
writes
The tanks are different, as I said above. The element fits into the bottom
of the end of the tank. The white plastic bit is a cover for the termostat
trip switch and associated wiring. On the non electric model there is only
one hole, that for the connecting rod.

You've made it sound straightforward enough for me to give it a shot.
We're off for a week in the new 'van, but I'll give it a try when we get
back.

I just have a sneaking suspicion that I re-sealed around the old one
using Sikaflex. Here's hoping I either didn't, or that it doesn't prove
to be too much of a problem.

On ABIs, the heater has to come out for any service work.

No kidding! They don't leave you much room to manoeuvre, do they?
--
David Thornber

Old July 16th 05, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mark @ Work

You've made it sound straightforward enough for me to give it a shot.
We're off for a week in the new 'van, but I'll give it a try when we get
back.

Enjoy your break

I just have a sneaking suspicion that I re-sealed around the old one using
Sikaflex. Here's hoping I either didn't, or that it doesn't prove to be
too much of a problem.

Sharp blade, possibly a scalpel will help.

On ABIs, the heater has to come out for any service work.

No kidding! They don't leave you much room to manoeuvre, do they?

I think the basis is, why would you want to manoeuvre it, even on the Swift
you could only really do some work on the wiring end,