Lengths & Widths

Old July 15th 05, 07:38 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Old Bloke

Default Lengths & Widths

Theres lots of posts in Google archive about width restrictions on UK towing
but I cant find the answer to my question. My LMC van is 8' wide, meaning
(apparently) that I need a vehicle over 3.5t GVW to pull it with - does such
a UK vehicle _exist_ that isnt a dedicated commercial, like a Tranny or
whatever?
I towed it home last night in the dead of night, )very_ slowly and avoiding
motorways, using my wifes Laguna estate 1.9 diesel turbo. Had no problems
with the weight but I know I need a bigger motor - question is, what!

Old July 15th 05, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Old Bloke" wrote in message
Theres lots of posts in Google archive about width restrictions on UK
towing but I cant find the answer to my question. My LMC van is 8' wide,
meaning (apparently) that I need a vehicle over 3.5t GVW to pull it with -
does such a UK vehicle _exist_ that isnt a dedicated commercial, like a
Tranny or whatever?
I towed it home last night in the dead of night, )very_ slowly and
avoiding motorways, using my wifes Laguna estate 1.9 diesel turbo. Had no
problems with the weight but I know I need a bigger motor - question is,
what!

Just an idea but instead of getting a motor 'off the shelf' over 3.5T there
are companies that can upgrade and replate existing vehicles. So, for
example, you may be able to got one of the bigger 4x4s or pickups which is
about 3T then get it plated up to 3.6T. It could save you driving round in
an unduly large vehicle all the time.

Rgds

Andy R

Old July 15th 05, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Old Bloke

"Andy R" wrote in message

Just an idea but instead of getting a motor 'off the shelf' over 3.5T
there are companies that can upgrade and replate existing vehicles. So,
for example, you may be able to got one of the bigger 4x4s or pickups
which is about 3T then get it plated up to 3.6T. It could save you
driving round in an unduly large vehicle all the time.

Rgds

Andy R

Nice thought. The Laguna has _staggering_ economy, 60mpg on a run, over 40
average, and even returned 34 yesterday bringing this huge van back home,
and I'll miss that a LOT! She likes 4x4's and had a 4.0 petrol RR for a
while before its economy bit home. She fancies a Mitsu Warrior or similar, 4
door (essential) pickup, or a Shogun sort of thing. Havent a huge budget,
her 52-plate worth about 7k at a guess plus a couple of thou in readies. Any
suggestions?

Old July 15th 05, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Budgie

"Old Bloke" wrote in message
Theres lots of posts in Google archive about width restrictions on UK

towing
but I cant find the answer to my question. My LMC van is 8' wide, meaning
(apparently) that I need a vehicle over 3.5t GVW to pull it with - does

such
a UK vehicle _exist_ that isnt a dedicated commercial, like a Tranny or
whatever?
I towed it home last night in the dead of night, )very_ slowly and

avoiding
motorways, using my wifes Laguna estate 1.9 diesel turbo. Had no problems
with the weight but I know I need a bigger motor - question is, what!

Just curious. If the van's too big for any 'normal' car or 4WD to tow, why
did you buy it?

--
Budgie
NB Reply to newsgroup. Email address will get you nowhere.

Old July 15th 05, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

does such a UK vehicle _exist_ that isnt a dedicated commercial, like a
Tranny or whatever?

The vast majority of transits are NOT over 3.5t. Only the huge ELWB ones
are, and not all of those (downplating to 3.5t being a factory option).

Christian.

Old July 15th 05, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David @ Home

"Old Bloke" wrote in message
Theres lots of posts in Google archive about width restrictions on UK

towing
but I cant find the answer to my question. My LMC van is 8' wide, meaning
(apparently) that I need a vehicle over 3.5t GVW to pull it with - does

such
a UK vehicle _exist_ that isnt a dedicated commercial, like a Tranny or
whatever?
I towed it home last night in the dead of night, )very_ slowly and

avoiding
motorways, using my wifes Laguna estate 1.9 diesel turbo. Had no problems
with the weight but I know I need a bigger motor - question is, what!

Early Nissan Patrols, the large seven seater variety are, I believe 3.5
tonnes.

Cheers