Leaky Tap

Old July 16th 05, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
JRS

Default Leaky Tap

I have a leaky shower tap - picture of what sort they are at following URL.
The van is a ? 1991 Bailey Avalon Scorpio. The leak is not from the tap
itself but from the shower head so it seems as though the tap does not close
properly. any advice on what I can check/repair/replace on taps of this
type. Getting behind the tap looks like a major job removing panels, etc.

http://www.hethersett.net/Tap.htm

Thanks

Jon

Old July 16th 05, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

JRS wrote:

I have a leaky shower tap - picture of what sort they are at
following URL. The van is a ? 1991 Bailey Avalon Scorpio. The leak is
not from the tap itself but from the shower head so it seems as
though the tap does not close properly. any advice on what I can
check/repair/replace on taps of this type. Getting behind the tap
looks like a major job removing panels, etc.

http://www.hethersett.net/Tap.htm

Thanks

Jon

I've got the same type of taps on my 1991 Bailey Pageant Magenta - and
they're 'orrible! In fact I've replaced one with something better.

You *can* take them apart - but you'll have to get behind the panel to
remove the pipes and nuts. Once you have the tap in your hand, you can
remove the angled nylon supply pipe by holding it with a pair of pliers and
giving it a sharp pull. You then push a Philips screwdriver (or piece of
1/8" rod) up the bottom, and give the handle end a sharp tap. [I have just
done this to one of my old ones, to remind myself].

The works will pop out - revealing 2 O rings, one normal looking one and one
at a funny angle. Chances are that the sloping O ring has failed. You need
to take the broken O ring to an O ring supplier (look for hydraulics in the
yellow pages) and get one the same size - there are literally thousands of
sizes to choose from!

If you don't want to do all that, you might consider using a shower head
with a built-in tap. When turned off, it should stop any water from coming
out - even if the main tap leaks. It also means that you can turn the flow
on and off without having to rebalance the hot and cold. You should be able
to get one from a caravan accessory shop.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 16th 05, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
JRS

Thanks Hitch Lock,

Just got a head with a tap. Has made things a lot better although the
increased back pressure is causing one of the taps to leak very slowly but
only to the extent I would need to turn the pump off at night - it is easily
tolerable in the day as it kicks in rarely.

regards.

Jon