Gas - new type of regulator

Old July 16th 05, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Bradbury

Default Gas - new type of regulator

I have just invested in a new portable gas barbecue from and it is
fitted with what appears at first sight to be a Calor butane regulator -
the snap on type. (I am using the permanent gas tap on the caravan and
so I am not using the regulator at the moment!)

However the regulator is RED and the legend on it states "Propane
LR2527A" and quotes a British Standard number of BS3016. The BBQ
instructions talk about the regulator as Propane only and will fit 27mm
compact type cylinder valves with an outlet pressure of 37 mbar

Does this mean that Calor are now doing propane with this new type of
regulator (or is this just for the more expensive "Patio Gas") as
opposed to the clumsy screw on regulator we suffer from at present.
If so how available are they as my poor arthritic hands would really
appreciate using the clip on type?

--
John Bradbury
Old July 16th 05, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David @ Home

"John Bradbury" wrote in message
I have just invested in a new portable gas barbecue from and it is
fitted with what appears at first sight to be a Calor butane regulator -
the snap on type. (I am using the permanent gas tap on the caravan and
so I am not using the regulator at the moment!)

However the regulator is RED and the legend on it states "Propane
LR2527A" and quotes a British Standard number of BS3016. The BBQ
instructions talk about the regulator as Propane only and will fit 27mm
compact type cylinder valves with an outlet pressure of 37 mbar

Does this mean that Calor are now doing propane with this new type of
regulator (or is this just for the more expensive "Patio Gas") as
opposed to the clumsy screw on regulator we suffer from at present.
If so how available are they as my poor arthritic hands would really
appreciate using the clip on type?

--

Yup, Calor are doing BBQ gas which is about the same height but slightly
fatter than the old 4.5kg/10lb cylinder.

Available at your local Calor centre, although expect a higher hire charge,
30 IIRC.

Cheers

Old July 19th 05, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
jim.johnson

"David @ Home" wrote in message

[...]

The gas is more expensive as well. You can buy normal propane type
regulators which are bolted to the normal propane tanks for between six and
ten pounds.

Jim

Old July 20th 05, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Bradbury

In message , jim.johnson
writes

"David @ Home" wrote in message

[...]

Agreed - and just what you would expect in rip off Britain!

Calor Propane - 6kg propane 12.79 inc. VAT - 2.13 per kg

Patio Gas - 5kg propane 13.99 inc. VAT - 2.78 per kg

Additional profit ~ 31%

As well as that they will not accept old propane cylinders in exchange
so another 24.99 per cylinder.

Chemically they are exactly the same so what is their justification for
the increased charge?

I cannot remember whether or not we had the same fiasco when the 7kg
butane cylinders had the clip on valve introduced back in the 90's (?)
--
John Bradbury

Old July 20th 05, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"John Bradbury" wrote in message

Calor Propane - 6kg propane 12.79 inc. VAT - 2.13 per kg

Patio Gas - 5kg propane 13.99 inc. VAT - 2.78 per kg

PATIO GAS???

Old July 20th 05, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Mary Fisher wrote:

"John Bradbury" wrote in message

Calor Propane - 6kg propane 12.79 inc. VAT - 2.13 per kg

Patio Gas - 5kg propane 13.99 inc. VAT - 2.78 per kg

PATIO GAS???

You don't want to know! ... then there's BBQ gas, too.