Sick fridge.......

Old July 16th 05, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin Edwards

Default Sick fridge.......

Ok, Electrolux fridge in a '91 Avondale. I'm assuming it's the original.

This week it stopped cooling on gas. I can see the flame through the wee
window and it's burning merrily producing loads of heat at the exhaust and a
bit on the sink draining board (as usual) but no cold in fridge.

Switch to mains electric and all is well, though not as good as gas (as
usual)

Is it worth lifting it out & leaving it upside down for a few days? I
vaguely remember this being a cure for a sick fridge.

Anyone?

Old July 16th 05, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David @ Home

"Martin Edwards" wrote in message
Ok, Electrolux fridge in a '91 Avondale. I'm assuming it's the original.

This week it stopped cooling on gas. I can see the flame through the wee
window and it's burning merrily producing loads of heat at the exhaust and

bit on the sink draining board (as usual) but no cold in fridge.

Switch to mains electric and all is well, though not as good as gas (as
usual)

Is it worth lifting it out & leaving it upside down for a few days? I
vaguely remember this being a cure for a sick fridge.

Anyone?

If the fridge is cooling on mains then the absorbtion unit is working OK. If
the fridge has not been serviced recently, that would be a place to start.
The flame may be viewed, but is it going in the correct direction, and is
the flue clear.

Turning it upside down is a temporary cure for a leaking absorbtion unit.

Cheers

Old July 17th 05, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Martin Edwards came up with the following;:
Ok, Electrolux fridge in a '91 Avondale. I'm assuming it's the original.

This week it stopped cooling on gas. I can see the flame through the wee
window and it's burning merrily producing loads of heat at the exhaust
and a bit on the sink draining board (as usual) but no cold in fridge.

Switch to mains electric and all is well, though not as good as gas (as
usual)

Is it worth lifting it out & leaving it upside down for a few days? I
vaguely remember this being a cure for a sick fridge.

Dunno about lifting it upside down, but I'd certainly check the flow of air
round the gas exhaust vents and around the whole system really.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old July 19th 05, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin Edwards

Well, puilled it out, flipped it over (wow those tubes back there are
rusty!!) next day, all back together and all works fine.
dunno if putting it upside down was what cured it, but I'm not
complaining!!!

Old July 20th 05, 07:26 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Colloff

The message
from "Martin Edwards" said:

Well, puilled it out, flipped it over (wow those tubes back there are
rusty!!) next day, all back together and all works fine.
dunno if putting it upside down was what cured it, but I'm not
complaining!!!

Yes, that is surely what did it.
Years ago with kerosene fridges in West Africa the PWD used to put duff
fridges in the back of a lorry, wedged with old tyres, and send it off
on a bumpy road.
Universal cure-all. John.