Gas query

« - | - »

Old July 17th 05, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve

Default Gas query

Hi

We're new to caravanning and bought our van in April. The gas bottle that
came with it has a blue regulator on it and says 28 mbs. In the manual it
says that it's 35 mbs for propane amd 28mbs for butane. So I'm assuming our
van runs on butane. The bottle is a gold 15kg (i think) type, which is
throwing me a bit as I thought all bottles were either blue or red.
Also will the regulator fit all sizes of bottles as we're thinking of
getting a smaller one as a spare for when it runs out.

TIA
Steve

Old July 17th 05, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 19:10:25 +0100, "Steve"
swr1953(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk wrote:

Hi

We're new to caravanning and bought our van in April. The gas bottle that
came with it has a blue regulator on it and says 28 mbs. In the manual it
says that it's 35 mbs for propane amd 28mbs for butane. So I'm assuming our
van runs on butane. The bottle is a gold 15kg (i think) type, which is
throwing me a bit as I thought all bottles were either blue or red.
Also will the regulator fit all sizes of bottles as we're thinking of
getting a smaller one as a spare for when it runs out.

TIA
Steve

Calor sell their gas in either Blue ( Butane ) or red ( Propane ),
your caravan will run on whichever one you choose, all you need is the
correct regulator. The Gold bottle is some company other than
Propanes version of butane, these bottles are fine but if you do much
travelling the only bottles that you can find almost universally
throughout the Uk are calor, for this reason most caravanners use
calor gas. If you haven't got a calor bottle then if you go to a calor
dealer he will not swap your bottle unless you pay the extotionate
charges that calor make for the first bottle you rent. If you want a
calor bottle I would suggest you frequent your local tip and look
through their thrown away bottles, if you ask nicely the gentlemen
looking after the tip will usually allow you to take a calor bottle
for free ( or very nearly free ) Calor have another scam in that they
will usually only change a bottle for a similar sized one, though if
you go to their main depots you will usually be able to swap a larger
for a smaller and vice versa.

(remove the spam to reply)

Old July 17th 05, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 19:39:33 +0100, bill lord wrote:

| On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 19:10:25 +0100, "Steve"
| swr1953(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk wrote:
|
| Hi
|
| We're new to caravanning and bought our van in April. The gas bottle that
| came with it has a blue regulator on it and says 28 mbs. In the manual it
| says that it's 35 mbs for propane amd 28mbs for butane. So I'm assuming our
| van runs on butane. The bottle is a gold 15kg (i think) type, which is
| throwing me a bit as I thought all bottles were either blue or red.
| Also will the regulator fit all sizes of bottles as we're thinking of
| getting a smaller one as a spare for when it runs out.
|
| TIA
| Steve
|

| Calor sell their gas in either Blue ( Butane ) or red ( Propane ),
| your caravan will run on whichever one you choose, all you need is the
| correct regulator. The Gold bottle is some company other than
| Propanes version of butane, these bottles are fine but if you do much
| travelling the only bottles that you can find almost universally
| throughout the Uk are calor, for this reason most caravanners use
| calor gas. If you haven't got a calor bottle then if you go to a calor
| dealer he will not swap your bottle unless you pay the extotionate
| charges that calor make for the first bottle you rent. If you want a
| calor bottle I would suggest you frequent your local tip and look
| through their thrown away bottles, if you ask nicely the gentlemen
| looking after the tip will usually allow you to take a calor bottle
| for free ( or very nearly free ) Calor have another scam in that they
| will usually only change a bottle for a similar sized one, though if
| you go to their main depots you will usually be able to swap a larger
| for a smaller and vice versa.

Agreed but: Our local gas place, *not* the Calor main agent, will swap most
bottles for most other bottles regardless of size or name on the bottle.
Look for small places near you.

Many small distributors have been taken over by Flogas, Look in Yellow
pages for there local distributor and ask there.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Butane v Propane.
Butane gives about 15% more cups of tea per bottle. Butane gives

Old July 17th 05, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old July 17th 05, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 19:57:26 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

Agreed but: Our local gas place, *not* the Calor main agent, will swap most
bottles for most other bottles regardless of size or name on the bottle.
Look for small places near you.

Most of them will but the calor man will not swap a flogas or anything
other than a calor bottle for a calor bottle.

(remove the spam to reply)

Old July 18th 05, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"bill lord" wrote in message news:

Most of them will but the calor man will not swap a flogas or anything
other than a calor bottle for a calor bottle.

AND they insist same size as well, no up or down sizeing.

Not sure if the will still swop butane for propane.

They are very keen to get a 45 deposit on a new cylinder.

Please reply to News Group.

Old July 18th 05, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David @ Home

"David" wrote in message

"bill lord" wrote in message news:

Most of them will but the calor man will not swap a flogas or anything
other than a calor bottle for a calor bottle.

AND they insist same size as well, no up or down sizeing.

Not sure if the will still swop butane for propane.

They are very keen to get a 45 deposit on a new cylinder.

Please reply to News Group.

There is a new matrix from Calor and swapping is now allowed amongst most
common sizes, excluding Patio and BBQ.

The cost of a new cylinder hire agreement for those common sizes is 24.99
inc VAT, not 45.

Cheers

David

« - | - »