12V socket problem

Old July 20th 05, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Fred

Default 12V socket problem

Hello

I've lost the supply to the 12V wall socket inside my caravan (very useful
for charging mobile phone). I've also lost the supply to my status aerial
booster which is directly connected to the rear of the same outlet.

The caravan is a 1997 Compass Omega. I've looked in the van and the manual
and there is no sign of a fuse or trip for the 12V socket and tracing the
wires quickly leads to the main wiring harness from where it's difficult to
proceed.

Has anyone experienced and solved this particular problem or does anyone
have any recommendations for fixing it?

Many Thanks
Fred

Old July 20th 05, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Fred" wrote in message
Hello

I've lost the supply to the 12V wall socket inside my caravan (very useful
for charging mobile phone). I've also lost the supply to my status aerial
booster which is directly connected to the rear of the same outlet.

The caravan is a 1997 Compass Omega. I've looked in the van and the manual
and there is no sign of a fuse or trip for the 12V socket and tracing the
wires quickly leads to the main wiring harness from where it's difficult
proceed.

I'm sure somewhere there will be a fuse panel with several fuses for the
various 12v applications.
If no one tells exactly where to look I would start from the piont where the
240v mains hook up enters this of course will be wired to your mains trip
box also to the 12v charging unit/control unit, look around/beyond
this/these unit(s).

Please reply to News Group

Old July 20th 05, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Fred
writes
Hello

I've lost the supply to the 12V wall socket inside my caravan (very useful
for charging mobile phone). I've also lost the supply to my status aerial
booster which is directly connected to the rear of the same outlet.

The caravan is a 1997 Compass Omega. I've looked in the van and the manual
and there is no sign of a fuse or trip for the 12V socket and tracing the
wires quickly leads to the main wiring harness from where it's difficult to
proceed.

Has anyone experienced and solved this particular problem or does anyone
have any recommendations for fixing it?

Many Thanks
Fred

I don't know your model but would expect a 97 van to have a distribution
panel with built in 12v fuses. Check them first. I would also expect
there to be a circuit diagram in your hand book which will show the way
in which supply from the battery output/control panel is fed to every
outlet. Identify the supply to the 2 devices which are failing and look
for where their supply diverges from other points which are not failing
e.g. your 12v lights. There must be a fuse in there somewhere, no-one
would wire direct to the battery, assuming this is factory standard and
not a bodged DIY job.

I have useful little tool for tracing wiring faults. Looks like a short
stubby fountain pen. It contains a 12v bulb and at one end is a lead
with a crocodile clip on the end to attach to a convenient earth. At the
other end is a very sharp point which can be pushed through the
insulation to make contact with the wire core. Light on means wire is
live. Red liquid means you've just stabbed your finger - again

There must be another end to your main harness - either on the back of
the control panel or internally next to your battery box.
HTH
--
hugh

Old July 20th 05, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Fred

Many thanks for the useful replies

Yes, there is indeed a fuse - I was looking in the wrong place!
And it's blown - problem solved.

Thanks again
Fred