towbar fitting instructions (Laguna)

Old August 11th 03, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Cliff Goldsmith

Default towbar fitting instructions (Laguna)

please could anyone point me in the right direction for towsure towbar
fitting instructions for 1996(P) Renault Laguna or could someone email me a
scanned copy I need them urgently as were going away this coming weekend
thanks in advance
cliff goldsmith

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old August 11th 03, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Thornber

In message , Cliff Goldsmith
writes
please could anyone point me in the right direction for towsure towbar
fitting instructions for 1996(P) Renault Laguna or could someone email me a
scanned copy I need them urgently as were going away this coming weekend
thanks in advance
cliff goldsmith

It depends a great deal on the towbar and whether or not it uses the
official mounting points. I don't have any instructions, but I have
fitted a towbar to an original shape hatchback Laguna. If that's what
you're working on, then the mounting points are as follows:

Four (IIRC) keyhole shaped holes along the back panel. If the bar comes
with captive nuts (as the Witter one does) then these can be fitted in
the slots from underneath the car without removing the bumper. If
they've supplied conventional nuts and bolts, then the bumper has to
come off. You may find (as I did) that you have to scrape away some of
the underseal to get the bar components to fit properly. If so, be sure
to treat the area with a good coat of Waxoyl or similar afterwards.

The forward mountings are along the chassis box sections. Do not even
consider doing these with anything other than the genuine fixings: They
don't just need a bolt through them - a strengthening collar also has to
be inserted to prevent the box section from crushing when the bolts are
tightened. The n/s forward mounting will probably be badly obstructed
by the exhaust heat shield and may be difficult to access unless you
have the car up on a high ramp. Some of the cheaper (non type-approved)
bars have a single centre bar instead. This will bolt to holes that you
have to drill yourself in the spare wheel well, and will be much easier
to fit.

It would still be worth contacting the manufacturer (if known) for a new
set of fixings and the recommended torque settings for the various
bolts. They may be able to fax you a set of instructions too.

--
David Thornber
Old August 12th 03, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Cliff Goldsmith

thanks everyone. ive just ordered a fixing set and instructions from towsure
19.95 inc delivery

"MJG" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:51:54 +0100, David Thornber
wrote:

This will bolt to holes that you
have to drill yourself in the spare wheel well, and will be much easier
to fit.

FWIW I would strongly advise following the earlier advice in Davids
post and fit only a bar to this vehicle that uses the approved mount
points.

In nearly twenty years of caravanning I have only had problems with
one tow bar and this was fitted to a Laguna as it happens. Although
mine was an estate I guess the HB will be the same. The spare wheel
well is made of something akin to paper and is clearly not designed to
take a tow bar mounting.

One tow from East Cleveland to Kielder Water and back was enough to
start the mountings cracking the spare wheel well (yes all relevant
towing limits were adhered to).

The fitter accepted full responsibility and replaced with a bar that
utilized the approved points and paid for a repair.

---
MJG

Take THEDOG out to email me.

---