Running a fridge and electric coolbox whilst towing

Old July 21st 05, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
JRS

Default Running a fridge and electric coolbox whilst towing

I have a baily scorpio towed by a V6 mondeo and I regularly have the fridge
running when I tow. Am I likely to create problems such as flattening the
car battery if I also run an electric coolbox either inside the van or
plugged into a socket in the car.

Excuse my electrical ignorance but not being able to start the car if I stop
is a kind of morbid fear!

Jon

Old July 21st 05, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mindwipe

"JRS" wrote in message
I have a baily scorpio towed by a V6 mondeo and I regularly have the fridge
running when I tow. Am I likely to create problems such as flattening the
car battery if I also run an electric coolbox either inside the van or
plugged into a socket in the car.

Excuse my electrical ignorance but not being able to start the car if I
stop is a kind of morbid fear!

Jon

if you use the second socket and its wired through a split charge relay then
the alternator should cover the power needs

Old July 21st 05, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David @ Home

"mindwipe" wrote in message

"JRS" wrote in message
I have a baily scorpio towed by a V6 mondeo and I regularly have the

fridge
running when I tow. Am I likely to create problems such as flattening the
car battery if I also run an electric coolbox either inside the van or
plugged into a socket in the car.

Excuse my electrical ignorance but not being able to start the car if I
stop is a kind of morbid fear!

Jon

if you use the second socket and its wired through a split charge relay

then
the alternator should cover the power needs

If I may be excused adding a bit more detail,

The split charge relay, if fitted, will stop the car battery supplying the
caravan as soon as the engine is stopped. If you are stationary for a short
while and do not open the fridge all will be well. If you stop for longer
than, say an hour, then run the fridge on gas if the outside temperature is
high.

A peltier cooling box, thats the ones with the fan, draw less current than a
fridge and the car should restart even if one of those has been running for
a couple of hours, with the engine off.

Cheers

Old July 21st 05, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
JRS

Thanks David and Mindwipe,

Neither will be run for much more than a few minutes without the car
running. The Coolbox is a fan type drawing 4.5A according to the manual.

I think I'll plug it in to the caravan as it is more convenient.

Jon

Old July 21st 05, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mindwipe

"David @ Home" wrote in message

"mindwipe" wrote in message

"JRS" wrote in message
[...]

sorrys guys i meant the second socket on the towbar (white)
it usually goes hand in hand with a split charge relay
and powers the fridge along with some other circuits
http://www.rydertowing.co.uk/trailer...bar_wiring.htm