tyre pressure bailey

Old July 23rd 05, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Capt T

Default tyre pressure bailey

My special edition bailey 450/2 appears to require 54 psi in its 165 x 13
tyres.according to the handbook. That seems very high and surely close to
their limit so I have set them at 44 psi until I know better. Can anyone
confirm what the pressure should
be?

Thanks

Old July 23rd 05, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin C

My Abbey Vogue GTS 2 berth @ 1260kg Max Weight recommends tyres at 51 PSI,
the max pressure as per sidewall is also 54PSI.
Hope this helps
Martin C

Old July 23rd 05, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
George Hendry

Just how much confirmation do you require. I doubt if anyone on here
will disagree with the manufacturers handbook.

My 2004 coachman requires 62 PSI in its 14 in. wheels.

In message , Capt T
writes

--
George Hendry

Old July 23rd 05, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 23rd 05, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 23rd 05, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Capt T wrote:

My special edition bailey 450/2 appears to require 54 psi in its 165
x 13 tyres.according to the handbook. That seems very high and surely
close to their limit so I have set them at 44 psi until I know
better. Can anyone confirm what the pressure should
be?

Thanks

I don't know the precise answer, but most caravan manufacturers fit slightly
over-specified tyres - so you normally need to run them at a lower pressure
than the maximum shown on the sidewall - but not by much. Are you using the
original tyres, or could someone have changed them for the wrong sort? I
assume that they are at least re-inforced if not 6-play rated?

What do the markings on the tyre say? There should be a coded load/speed
rating with 2 digits and a letter (e.g. 94T) - and it probably also says
"max load XX Kg at YY PSI" or words to that effect.

What is the max permissible weight of the van - as stamped on its hitch
plate?

Check the tyre spec against what the handbook says. It is both dangerous and
illegal to use tyres which are not up the job. It is also dangerous and
illegal to run on seriously under-inflated tyres - because they will
over-heat and fail prematurely. You need a *very* good reason to depart from
the manufacturer's figure.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 23rd 05, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 19:04:06 +0100, "Capt T"
wrote:

| My special edition bailey 450/2 appears to require 54 psi in its 165 x 13
| tyres.according to the handbook. That seems very high and surely close to
| their limit so I have set them at 44 psi until I know better. Can anyone
| confirm what the pressure should
| be?

What is the limit shown on the sidewall of your van?
It is always safe to run things *at* the limits given.

Has someone put car tyres on your van instead of caravan tyres?
AFAIK caravan tyres are built to stand a higher pressure.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk In Case of Emergency
Store the word "ICE" in your mobile phone address book, and