This may help others

Old July 23rd 05, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
wally

Default This may help others

A couple of weeks ago I posted in here asking
about new or second hand fridges.
I decided a new one was too expensive, so I
was searching around for a SH one.
Looking around dealers, breakers and even put
in a couple of bids on E/Bay.
(they fetch really silly money on there)
Anyway, on my travels someone told me to turn
it upside down for 24 hours then turn it the right
way up and leave another 24 hours, then try it.
So what have I got to loose, its been removed
anyway ready for the replacement.
So I followed the instructions and YES, I now have
a fridge that works good as new.
Just got back from a weeks hol., so it's had a
good test, one happy bunny here ))
So if your fridge goes wrong, give it a try, could
save you

Wally

Old July 24th 05, 12:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lee_D

"wally" wrote in message
A couple of weeks ago I posted in here asking
about new or second hand fridges.
I decided a new one was too expensive, so I
was searching around for a SH one.
Looking around dealers, breakers and even put
in a couple of bids on E/Bay.
(they fetch really silly money on there)
Anyway, on my travels someone told me to turn
it upside down for 24 hours then turn it the right
way up and leave another 24 hours, then try it.

I was waiting for the .."..and there was this big loud MOOOOOOOO!" ;0)

Lee D

Old July 24th 05, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

"wally" wrote in message
A couple of weeks ago I posted in here asking
about new or second hand fridges.
I decided a new one was too expensive, so I
was searching around for a SH one.
Looking around dealers, breakers and even put
in a couple of bids on E/Bay.
(they fetch really silly money on there)
Anyway, on my travels someone told me to turn
it upside down for 24 hours then turn it the right
way up and leave another 24 hours, then try it.
So what have I got to loose, its been removed
anyway ready for the replacement.
So I followed the instructions and YES, I now have
a fridge that works good as new.
Just got back from a weeks hol., so it's had a
good test, one happy bunny here ))
So if your fridge goes wrong, give it a try, could
save you

Wally

I had the same problem years ago. The guy who serviced my caravan did a
similar thing like Wally I avoided having to buy a new fridge. It lasted
several years after that, until I PXed the van for a newer one.

--

Jim

It has removed 735 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

Old July 24th 05, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Jim" wrote in message

I had the same problem years ago. The guy who serviced my caravan did a
similar thing like Wally I avoided having to buy a new fridge. It lasted
several years after that, until I PXed the van for a newer one.

Years ago the type of cooling done by caravan 'fridges was also used in
domestic 'fridges and I recall a 'fridge engineer telling me a dodge was to
pickup a faulty from the house and put it in the van upside down. Then
return it later to the house 'repaired'.

Please reply to News Group

Old July 24th 05, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin Edwards

I think it's supposed to be due to the coolant crystalising or
something..... Happens cos the fridge is run off level....

It fixed mine a few weeks ago, but bizarrely, it still worked ok on mains,
just gas was faulty, even though I could see the flame fine......

Ah well, it works now!!

Old July 24th 05, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

"David" wrote in message

"Jim" wrote in message

I had the same problem years ago. The guy who serviced my caravan did a
similar thing like Wally I avoided having to buy a new fridge. It lasted
several years after that, until I PXed the van for a newer one.

Years ago the type of cooling done by caravan 'fridges was also used in
domestic 'fridges and I recall a 'fridge engineer telling me a dodge was
to pickup a faulty from the house and put it in the van upside down. Then
return it later to the house 'repaired'.

Please reply to News Group

Sorry David, I don't fully understand the bit "...... a dodge was to pickup
a faulty from the house and put it in the van upside down".

Anyway I am sure that fridges used in the house and those in caravans worked
on totally different principles and I think have done for some years now.
The house fridge has a motor/compressor and, as far as I know, a caravan one
uses an absorption or evaporation principle, i.e. no moving parts. I agree
with Martin Edwards (see his posting in this thread) that it is something
like the coolant crystallising.

--

Jim