carrying bikes with range rover

Old July 24th 05, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
john.miller188

Default carrying bikes with range rover

Hi all

I could do with some advice on the best way to carry our bikes (two) with
our range rover classic whilst towing the van.

I have a rack that clamps onto the two ball which is fine when not towing,
but obviously no good when hitched up. I believe there are types that bolt
onto the two lowball bolts, any good? and any recommended models? The only
down side I can see is that you would not be able to access the top
tailgate, is there any way around that?

There seems to be plenty of models around for clamping on the back of
hatchback cars but I can't see how they would fit the range rover.

I suppose the other way would be on the roof, but I am a bit dubious about
the overall height as it is a biggish vehicle anyway. Someone suggested
putting them inside, but with all the kit we carry there wouldn't be the
room.!! (its only a small van).

I am sure there are other classic owners that have had a similar problem,
any ideas?

Thanks

John

Old July 24th 05, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bryan Bellis

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 11:03:24 +0100, "john.miller188"
wrote:

Hi all

I could do with some advice on the best way to carry our bikes (two) with
our range rover classic whilst towing the van.

I have a rack that clamps onto the two ball which is fine when not towing,
but obviously no good when hitched up. I believe there are types that bolt
onto the two lowball bolts,

I've got one of these which I fitted on the back of the Jeep Cherokee.
It's a plate which is bolted to the hitch, out of which comes a two
piece tube. When you insert this tube into the hole on the plate you
have a vertical bar behind the vehicle. A contraption then fits on to
the top of the tube on which you can fix two bikes. It works well
enough. Got it from Indespension in Reading, about 45 or so.

--
Bryan Bellis.
Don't hit REPLY to email me, my spam trap will

http://www.pcdr.co.uk/taxmaster

To email me, go to this web page link:
http://www.pcdr.co.uk/spam/antispam.html

Old July 27th 05, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
john.miller188

Thanks for that Bryan, will check that out.

regards
John

Old July 27th 05, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
john.miller188