Nose-weight measurement

Old July 24th 05, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Uno Hoo!

Default Nose-weight measurement

Has anyone ever checked the accuracy of a proprietory noseweight guage? For
the past eight years I have been religiously checking my noseweight, prior
to towing, with a Towsure 'Nosemaster' guage. I always set to 75 kgs which
is the maximum for the caravan chassis and has always been the recommended
setting for the towcars that I have had (although my current car will accept
100kgs). Today I checked the noseweight with the Towsure guage (and set it
to 75 kgs) but also, for some reason, decided to check with a set of
bathroom scales. I put a square of timber on the scales, a batten of wood up
to the caravan tow hitch, zeroed the scales and then lowered the hitch. The
reading on the Towsure was 75kgs - the reading on the bathroom scales was
close to 100 kgs !
I decided to attempt to 'balance' the caravan using the bathroom scales but
despite moving almost everything to the back of the caravan (not good, I
know) I could only get the noseweight down to just under 90 Kgs. Decided to
because I've been using the Towsure guage for so long without problem, I
re-balanced the 'van to 75 kgs using that guage - but I really have no idea
now what the true nose-weight is!
I did check the bathroom scales for accuracy by standing on them - and they
measure my weight accurately.
So - which do I use in future and, more importantly, - if the bathroom
scales are more accurate - how the hell do I get the noseweight down to 75
kgs without stacking virtually everything in the end bathroom (thus risking
the dreaded 'pedulum effect') ??

Kev

Old July 24th 05, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in news:dc0mri$eq9$1
@news6.svr.pol.co.uk:

Has anyone ever checked the accuracy of a proprietory noseweight guage?

FWIW, I bought a noseweight guage and used it religiously to check my
noseweight prior to hitching up ... until the noseweight was a few kg over
the limit. I moved some of the heavy stuff a foot or so rearward, and tried
again. The noseweight had apparently increased! So, I tried again without
any redistribution of the load. The noseweight "reduced" back to the
original value. So, I tried again, and again, and again. The "noseweight"
was different each time even though I hadn't done anything to the load. The
values ranged from 55kg to about 85kg for a dozen or so attempts.

At that point, I gave up and decided that if I could lift the hitch, it was
within limits and haven't measured noseweight since!

HTH,

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK

Old July 24th 05, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Uno Hoo! wrote:

[...]
just under 90 Kgs. Decided to go back to the Towsure guage and this
was now reading 62 kgs !! In the end, because I've been using the
Towsure guage for so long without problem, I re-balanced the 'van to
75 kgs using that guage - but I really have no idea now what the true
nose-weight is!
I did check the bathroom scales for accuracy by standing on them -
and they measure my weight accurately.
So - which do I use in future and, more importantly, - if the bathroom
scales are more accurate - how the hell do I get the noseweight down
to 75 kgs without stacking virtually everything in the end bathroom
(thus risking the dreaded 'pedulum effect') ??

Kev

Interesting!

What do you reckon will be the attitude of your ex-colleagues when you are
found to have an illegally high noseweight in a roadside check - and you
produce your Towsure device as evidence that you believed you were within
limits?

I've never bothered with such a device. I always use an axle stand on the
bathroom scales - and zero them before lowering the hitch onto the axle
stand - having adjusted the stand to give the right ride height. I believe
my scales pretty much - because I use my suitcases to calibrate them against
airport check-in scales.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 24th 05, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Geoff Lane wrote:

FWIW, I bought a noseweight guage and used it religiously to check my
noseweight prior to hitching up ... until the noseweight was a few kg
over the limit. I moved some of the heavy stuff a foot or so
rearward, and tried again. The noseweight had apparently increased!
So, I tried again without any redistribution of the load. The
noseweight "reduced" back to the original value. So, I tried again,
and again, and again. The "noseweight" was different each time even
though I hadn't done anything to the load. The values ranged from
55kg to about 85kg for a dozen or so attempts.

At that point, I gave up and decided that if I could lift the hitch,
it was within limits and haven't measured noseweight since!

Let me guess - you've got a twin axle van? Problem with these is that
friction in the suspension can distribute the weight differently between the
front and rear axles every time you raise and lower the hitch.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 25th 05, 06:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"Hitch Lock" wrote in
:

At that point, I gave up and decided that if I could lift the hitch,
it was within limits and haven't measured noseweight since!

Let me guess - you've got a twin axle van? Problem with these is that
friction in the suspension can distribute the weight differently
between the front and rear axles every time you raise and lower the
hitch.

You guessed wrong. I have a single-axle 'van with max noseweight 75kg. I
try to tow with a noseweight between 50kg and 70kg.

My rule of thumb (or should that be "rule of back") is probably more
accurate than my noseweight guage. I have one of these:
http://www.waudbys.co.uk/products/details/225.html and I consider it to be
one of my poorer caravanning purchases.

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK

Old July 25th 05, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

I don't doubt the "pendulum" effect as I have had a few snakes over the
years but with a nose weight of 70 or 80 kilograms I wonder if you are
worrying too much. I think that the pendulum effect would only be severe if
you had much less nose weight.
To get my caravan nose weight down I put the awning and the microwave at the
rear of the 'van in the washroom along with electric cable, water containers
etc., and have no problem towing.

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message
Has anyone ever checked the accuracy of a proprietory noseweight guage?

For
snip
snip