Leisure battery charging

Old August 11th 03, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

Default Leisure battery charging

Just purchased the Halfords auto-charger for above. The battery condition
indicator in the caravan displayed ok (green section). However, I still
removed the battery and connected it to the charger. It has remained in
'charge mode' for 3 hours .... and is still charging.

Should I be surprised by this?

Cheers ...... Richard

Old August 11th 03, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Thornber

In message , Richard
writes
Just purchased the Halfords auto-charger for above. The battery condition
indicator in the caravan displayed ok (green section). However, I still
removed the battery and connected it to the charger. It has remained in
'charge mode' for 3 hours .... and is still charging.

Should I be surprised by this?

Not at all. The gauge in the 'van only shows the battery voltage and
is not really an accurate indication of state of charge. The needle
will stay in the green until the battery is close to total discharge.

Charging even a partially discharged battery is liable to take much
longer than 3 hours. My Gunson constant voltage charger takes several
days before the meter drops right the way down to zero.

--
David Thornber
Old August 11th 03, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"David Thornber" wrote in message
In message , Richard
writes
Just purchased the Halfords auto-charger for above. The battery condition
indicator in the caravan displayed ok (green section). However, I still
removed the battery and connected it to the charger. It has remained in
'charge mode' for 3 hours .... and is still charging.

Should I be surprised by this?

Not at all. The gauge in the 'van only shows the battery voltage and
is not really an accurate indication of state of charge. The needle
will stay in the green until the battery is close to total discharge.

Charging even a partially discharged battery is liable to take much
longer than 3 hours. My Gunson constant voltage charger takes several
days before the meter drops right the way down to zero.

--
David Thornber

David, thanks for that info .... it is still going strong BTW.

Regards ....... Richard

Old August 12th 03, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
The Man in the tree

Yes, if you want a true indication of the battery voltage you need to put a
load on it.
Switch a 12volt TV on, or a few lights. If the battery is good the needle
wil barely move. If it's low it will go into orange or red.

Trefor