12v freezer

Old July 25th 05, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
chris thame

Default 12v freezer

The fridge in our van is not adequate. The freezer compartment is
just about big enough for a bag of peas. I really need a 12v freezer
box. I know they are expensive but does anyone know of any good deals
on them but most of all where I can locate one? Also, has anyone used
one and are they any good? Thanks for your help
Chris
Old July 25th 05, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

The fridge in our van is not adequate. The freezer compartment is
just about big enough for a bag of peas. I really need a 12v freezer
box.

The problem is that a freezer takes a lot of energy, particularly if
portable, requiring reasonable dimensions and, hence, less insulation.
Supplying it from 12V means a lot of amps (probably 10-20, depending on its
performance and size of the compartment). It would certainly require the
engine to be running, and possibly need dedicated wiring back to the
battery/alternator. If you want to use it as additional freezer space when
stationary, you'd be better off getting a small mains freezer (which is
cheap), or a gas one (which isn't, but at least you can leave it running
without having the car engine going).

Christian.

Old July 28th 05, 12:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
BARRY TEAGUE

This is a 230v and could be kept in the awning
and its only 52 cm high
Zanussi ZEUC0545 Freezer from Sainsbury at 123 inc vat

Any good ??

http://www.sainsburyskitchenapplianc...n.aspx?ID=4522

Old July 31st 05, 01:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:09:12 +0100, chris thame
wrote:

The fridge in our van is not adequate. The freezer compartment is
just about big enough for a bag of peas. I really need a 12v freezer
box. I know they are expensive but does anyone know of any good deals
on them but most of all where I can locate one? Also, has anyone used
one and are they any good? Thanks for your help
Chris

I've got a Waeco CF18(18 litre capacity). Had it for a few years now,
and it gets used A LOT. I was fortunate enough to get it as an ex
display model, and significantly reduced, at the NEC a few years back.
It functions as a fridge at one extreme of the thermostat (5C), and as
a freezer if turned up all the way (-20C). The current consumption is
4amps while the compressor is running, with a start-up
surge(milliseconds) of about 8amps. As a fridge, the compressor is
normally running for about 1.5 minutes in every 15 minutes(20C ambient
temp). As a freezer it is running for a greater proportion of the
time, but even then, it is not running continuously.

My CF18 is currently secured in my vehicle and is used regularly for
shopping trips, picnics, and camping. Although the Waeco compressor
range have low battery shut down in order to prevent flattening your
car battery, I have mine connected to a second battery supplied from a
split charge system. As a fridge, it will run for days from an 85Ah
battery without running the engine.

It really is the bees knees, and gets down to 5C from 20C in around 5
minutes. My only regret is that I didn't get the larger unit.

Don't know about any good deals on them though - sorry!

Neil