Question from a caravanning newbie

Old July 25th 05, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jon

Default Question from a caravanning newbie

Hi....

Please forgive my ignorance but I'm a complete newbie to caravanning....

Is there a definative guide online or that I can buy that gives the weight
of 'vans...

We only have a Peugeot 306 with a 1.4 engine and I'm wondering what it will
pull before we actually go and start looking to buy..

Anybody any ideas??

Cheers
Jon

Old July 25th 05, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Rooney

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 19:58:32 GMT, "Jon" wrote:

Hi....

Please forgive my ignorance but I'm a complete newbie to caravanning....

Is there a definative guide online or that I can buy that gives the weight
of 'vans...

We only have a Peugeot 306 with a 1.4 engine and I'm wondering what it will
pull before we actually go and start looking to buy..

Anybody any ideas??

Your car weighs about a tonne, I think. A Freedom Jetstream is what
you want!

"I always knew the entire Green party were nutters" - Ken Livingstone

Old July 25th 05, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 19:58:32 GMT, "Jon" wrote:

Hi....

Please forgive my ignorance but I'm a complete newbie to caravanning....

Is there a definative guide online or that I can buy that gives the weight
of 'vans...

We only have a Peugeot 306 with a 1.4 engine and I'm wondering what it will
pull before we actually go and start looking to buy..

Anybody any ideas??

If you're real lucky you might get a fat bird! ;-)

Old July 25th 05, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dennis Freshwater

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 19:58:32 +0000, Jon wrote:

Hi....

Please forgive my ignorance but I'm a complete newbie to caravanning....

Is there a definative guide online or that I can buy that gives the weight
of 'vans...

Caravan magazine (published monthly) gives the weights of all new vans,
and that should also give you a guide to used models from the same range.

--
Dennis Freshwater
***Remove XZY to reply***

Old July 26th 05, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

We only have a Peugeot 306 with a 1.4 engine and I'm wondering what it
will
pull before we actually go and start looking to buy..

I hope you don't have kids!

This car will pull a small 2 berth caravan, but you still need to be careful
finding a lightweight one. You might actually find this easier buying an
older caravan, as modern ones have so many mod cons, they get fatter every
year. Finding a light 4 berth could be more difficult, as you really should
to keep it well under 900kg loaded.

You might consider a trailer tent if you want more than 2 berths. A trailer
tent can supply electricity, toilet, fridge and beds for much less weight
and may be a more suitable match for the vehicle, as well as being easier to
store.

Christian.

Old July 26th 05, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Another Dave

Jon wrote:

Is there a definative guide online or that I can buy that gives the weight
of 'vans...

We only have a Peugeot 306 with a 1.4 engine and I'm wondering what it will
pull before we actually go and start looking to buy..

Anybody any ideas??

You need to find the kerbside weight of your car. It should be in the
car's owner manual somewhere. Failing that, try:

http://www.clicreports.co.uk/

You should only tow a caravan whose maximum weight (MTPLM) is 85% or
less of the car's kerbside weight. The weight of the van will be on a
plate somewhere, probably low down near the door. Failing that, try:

http://www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/vandata.htm

There aren't many vans which will be light enough, especially recent or
four-berth.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to webtribe in e-mail address