nose weight on a swift

Old July 27th 05, 05:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
andy

Default nose weight on a swift

hiya,

i have a swift challenger 4905se and i think im ok with a noseweight
of 65kg,

is this ok,

at the minuit its 80kg a bit on the heavy side and seen as im towing
it from sheffield to cornwall i think i oughta sort it out,

cheers guys

andy
Old July 27th 05, 06:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 06:40:02 +0100, andy wrote:

| hiya,
|
| i have a swift challenger 4905se and i think im ok with a noseweight
| of 65kg,
|
| is this ok,
|
| at the minuit its 80kg a bit on the heavy side and seen as im towing
| it from sheffield to cornwall i think i oughta sort it out,

Nosewieght *must* by law be less than, or equal to, the figure given in
the car handbook and *must* by law be less than or equal to the figure
given in the caravan handbook. The Clubs recommend that it is 7% of the
weight of the van. A very low nosewieght is a bad idea as it is bad for
stability.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk In Case of Emergency
Store the word "ICE" in your mobile phone address book, and
Old July 27th 05, 06:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old July 27th 05, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

andy wrote:

hiya,

i have a swift challenger 4905se and i think im ok with a noseweight
of 65kg,

is this ok,

at the minuit its 80kg a bit on the heavy side and seen as im towing
it from sheffield to cornwall i think i oughta sort it out,

cheers guys

andy

If your towcar was first registered on or after 1 August 1996 (I think -
check the date) your towing bracket will have a label specifying the maximum
permitted hitch load. It is ILLEGAL to exceed this - and you could fall foul
of PLOD in a roadside check.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 27th 05, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

andy said the following on 27/07/2005 06:40:
hiya,

i have a swift challenger 4905se and i think im ok with a noseweight
of 65kg,

is this ok,

at the minuit its 80kg a bit on the heavy side and seen as im towing
it from sheffield to cornwall i think i oughta sort it out,

cheers guys

andy

Max nosewieght for my Challenger is 75Kg - from Swift handbook.

Roy

Old July 27th 05, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Roy wrote:

andy said the following on 27/07/2005 06:40:
hiya,

i have a swift challenger 4905se and i think im ok with a noseweight
of 65kg,

is this ok,

at the minuit its 80kg a bit on the heavy side and seen as im towing
it from sheffield to cornwall i think i oughta sort it out,

cheers guys

andy

Max nosewieght for my Challenger is 75Kg - from Swift handbook.

Roy

Even so, the towcar may have a *lower* noseweight - which must not be
exceeded.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 28th 05, 05:56 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike R

"andy" wrote in message
hiya,

i have a swift challenger 4905se and i think im ok with a noseweight
of 65kg,

is this ok,

at the minuit its 80kg a bit on the heavy side and seen as im towing
it from sheffield to cornwall i think i oughta sort it out,

cheers guys

andy

I have a Swift Challenger 490LSE (2003) and the nw is 101kg (based on the 7%
rule and aftre phoning swift to check/) - by moving stuff around I can
acheive my target nw of 88-90kg. I use a bit off wood - length cut to the
ride height of my car and a set of bath room scales. I never managed to get
my nw below this to the value you have said.