Men & Motors caravannin Part II

Old August 11th 03, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Rogers

Default Men & Motors caravannin Part II

Subject matter......brilliant
Presentation........load of crap

Loved the old classic carlight and the motor homes.
Loved the silver bullet. Nice legs, ooops.

So what is the best way to get out of mud.

Come on M & M you had a budget of 1s 6d for the programme. Don't waste the
money.

Harry

Old August 11th 03, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
\Em\

"Harry Rogers" wrote in message
| Subject matter......brilliant
| Presentation........load of crap
|
| Loved the old classic carlight and the motor homes.
| Loved the silver bullet. Nice legs, ooops.
|
| So what is the best way to get out of mud.
|
| Come on M & M you had a budget of 1s 6d for the programme. Don't waste the
| money.
|
| Harry

Utter Crap what a mess of what could be a brilliant program. Does anyone
know of the parts dealer mentioned.?

Old August 11th 03, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
\Em\

Old August 13th 03, 03:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Milnes

They were mentioned in the credits at the end of the programme.

Cheers, Peter.

"AL" wrote in message
:
: ""Em"" wrote in message
: ...
: Utter Crap what a mess of what could be a brilliant program. Does anyone
: know of the parts dealer mentioned.?
:
: My thoughts exactly, looked a good source for parts, but no mention of who
: they were - duh.
: Also, was good to see my Van (well, same as mine) being featured on
: there, shame they failed to mention, when suggesting people buy a van to tow
: with, that many sites ban commercial vehicles - such as "Searles" & "Manor
: Park" at Hunstanton (hope they're reading :-)
: Other than that, i thought, boring crap.
:
: AL.
:
:

Old August 13th 03, 06:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Terry

AL wrote: in part
: .......... snipped .......
: shame they failed to mention, when suggesting people buy a van to tow
: with, that many sites ban commercial vehicles - such as "Searles" & "Manor
: Park" at Hunstanton (hope they're reading :-)

Sorry; but another 'dumb' Canadian question if I may.
Commercial vehicle? Van? Pickup truck?

Does that refer to banning a vehicle that is permanently
emblazoned with say, "Jake's Plumbing" or "Susie's Sweet
Sarsaparilla Shakes." because of the commercial sign/logo on it?
What about a 'company' vehicle that someone is allowed to use
personally as part of their remuneration as say a commercial
traveller, sales rep., travelling maintenance/support for a
computer or cell phone company; and so on? Such a vehicle would
probably be registered to 'XYZ Company" and might or might not
have a small sign inside denoting the ownership?

Or; does it refer to the 'type' of vehicle?
I'm curious because many families here, use pickups trucks and
vans as primary family vehicles. My daughter's family have a
family van, seats six and also a pickup. Either can tow their
camper/caravan. My son and I have two pickups, used daily for
everything from commuting, picking up groceries, going to the
tip, getting items up to 12 foot long from building supplies,
moving tents for the Scouts and/or stackable chairs for a
volunteer organization etc. (If something projects more than two
feet out the back you must put a red flag on it.)

Initial cost, operating expense, insurance and motor registration
is, for private use, of a pickup or van identical to a car.
Pickups have many advantages; some current models have three and
half or four doors and can seat six adults. With a skidoo or ATV
(All terrain vehicle), or a couple of motor-cross cycles in the
back and/or on a trailer. A pickup can also tow a trailer
(caravan) or a boat. They are particularly useful for towing
'fifth wheel' trailers (caravans). Fifth wheels where the front
of the trailer rises higher and is above and hitched to an
assembly bolted but quickly removable in the bed of the pickup.
Fifth wheels are reputed to tow well in windy conditions at speed
and 'track' well because the point of attachment and therefore
the towbar weight, as it were, can be adjusted to be exactly
over, in front of, or behind the rear axle of the towing truck.
Our retired friends tow a 26 foot fifth wheel with their Dodge
pickup which is their only vehicle.

Typically also a small contractor or small business man may use
their vehicle commercially during the week and as family
transportation and for towing on weekends. In fact some families
spend several summer weeks vacation at one of the national or
provincial parks with their trailer (caravan) and one of the
parents while the other parent commutes either daily or weekly,
depending on distance, to their business activity. Consequently
one wouldn't be surprised to see a pickup, marked "Coady's
Ornamental Iron Work" (An actual company) parked next to a camp
site at the Terra Nova National Park some 150 miles out on the
highway from here. Pickup might belong to the childrens parent
who works with the family company or to Grandma or Grandpa who,
in this case, own the company!

Rather curious what that comment implied and why there would be
such a ban? Our 'van' is a rigid commercial camper unit, about 11
foot long overall, that slides into the back of one of our
pickups. The pickup, now being used privately since I have
finally retired from business, does not carry any commercial
logo. Would that be disqualified?

Thanks for any comment. Terry.

PS. I guess 'they' would be aghast at the bread van on a five ton
truck chassis modified into a family camper that we once rented
for a few weeks some 30+ years ago. Amongst it features were an
abundance of red, including the curtains; a bunk bed above the
truck cab, so high that an intermediate step, concealing a couple
of 100 pound propane cylinders lying dangerously on their sides,
was needed inside the 'camper' to get up there. We had fun
though! The daughters had a fantastic view through the high up
front window of the bunk area. No seat belts then!
Old August 13th 03, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Rogers

"Peter Milnes" wrote in message
They were mentioned in the credits at the end of the programme.

Cheers, Peter.

"AL" wrote in message
:
: ""Em"" wrote in message
: ...
: Utter Crap what a mess of what could be a brilliant program. Does

anyone
: know of the parts dealer mentioned.?
:
: My thoughts exactly, looked a good source for parts, but no mention of

who
: they were - duh.

The credits at the end of the prog started off with
" thank to
West Country Motorhomes
Highbridge Caravans and Camping Centre
Surf Bay Leisure."

Then it went on to tell us that awful cameraman's name and the rest of the
crew.

Harry
(I recorded it)

Old August 13th 03, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin Imber

However it was on a pay TV platform which is available to less than 7m
people.

I prefer FTA digital

Why couldn't one of the main broadcasters done something?

Old August 14th 03, 01:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Milnes

So did you check into Highbridge Caravans and Camping Centre? Seems very
suspiciously like a dealer in caravan and camping necessities to me.

Cheers, Peter.

"Harry Rogers" wrote in message
:
: "Peter Milnes" wrote in message
: ...
: They were mentioned in the credits at the end of the programme.
:
: Cheers, Peter.
:
: "AL" wrote in message
: ...
: :
: : ""Em"" wrote in message
: : ...
: : Utter Crap what a mess of what could be a brilliant program. Does
: anyone
: : know of the parts dealer mentioned.?
: :
: : My thoughts exactly, looked a good source for parts, but no mention of
: who
: : they were - duh.
: .................................................. ..........................
: .............................
:

Old August 14th 03, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
AL

"Terry" wrote in message
AL wrote: in part
: .......... snipped .......
: shame they failed to mention, when suggesting people buy a van to tow
: with, that many sites ban commercial vehicles - such as "Searles" &

"Manor
: Park" at Hunstanton (hope they're reading :-)

Sorry; but another 'dumb' Canadian question if I may.
Commercial vehicle? Van? Pickup truck?

snippety snip

It basically means any Van, Pick up etc - if my van had side windows, it
would be allowed, as it's then a minibus :-) signwriting is irellavent, i
even removed the small amount of lettering i had on my van, assuming
(wrongly) that may be the cause.
My van is identical to the one shown on Men & Motors, except pale blue
in colour, quite a pretty van, in comparison to the Transit type vans, but,
no matter, the sites mentioned wasn't interested in what the van looked
like, lettered or not, they didn't ask to see it, just wouldn't allow it on
site.
By the way, this seems to be an area problem, as on a recent trip to
Skegness, we went on NorthShore Holiday Park with the van, not a problem the
Site manager even came and asked me for a business card, as he wanted to
book me for disco's / karaokes in the site club :-) while in Skeggy i
enquired at 4 other sites about coming on with my van and not a problem at
all on any of those sites.
Also seems that high prices on sites in Hunstanton prevail too, they
wanted 21 a night for a caravan / awning combination on "Searles", 15.25p
on NortShore in Skegness

AL