Solar panels cheap!

« - | - »

Old August 11th 03, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

Default Solar panels cheap!

NEW SOLAR PANELS
3sq feet (36inches x 12 inches)
Rated 15-18w output in bright sunshine. Max Voltage out = 25V DC.
Ideal for charging 12 v Batteries (liquid or Gel), Lead Acid, NiCD,
NiMH,
NiFE etc with suitable regulation to limit the charging voltage when
charging Lead Acid and the charging current when charging other cell
types.
Even under indoor lighting levels these panels produce 12-14V DC
output.
Supplied TESTED UN-USED.

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/etspecial.ht

The page was unavailable to me ... :-(

Mary
Harry (M1BYT)...

Old August 11th 03, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard C. Ferryman

I notice the link should be

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/etspecial.htm

My initial concern is that tese panels are 25V maximum o/p.
It is certain that the panel will oveheat when running in full
meditterranean sunlight and a nominal 13.8V battery load.
The normal design output is somewhat less than 25V. To work correctly
they need a regulator.
These panels have been around for some time and the ones I have seen
are fragile, needing a sturdy frame. Fine for a knowledgable DIY
person but will definitely need a fair bit of work. This site appears
to aim heavily towards the radio amateur or electronics enthusiast so
don't expect it to be a simple job.
Richard (Retired electronics engineer and radio amateur and even I
wouldn't bother with these - too much work!)

Old August 11th 03, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Richard C. Ferryman" wrote in message
I notice the link should be

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/etspecial.htm

Thank you.

Mary

Old August 12th 03, 01:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

In article ,
says...

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/etspecial.ht

| The page was unavailable to me ... :-(

Sorry I simply posted the direct link to the page, which does not seem
to work....

Try:-

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/
Click 'Electronic Special Offers',
Harry (M1BYT)...

Remove the 'NOSPAM' in my email address to reply.

Free Amateur Radio Courses:-
http://www.ukradioamateur.org
Old August 12th 03, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
CampinGazz

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...

It is recommended that ALL solar cell panels are used with a controller
anyway. I have no knowledge of them other than spotting them on the web
site, at what seems to be a good price for their output. So I cannot
comment on the need for a frame.

I live just round hte corner fron anchor, seen these panels in there shop
for the last year or so now, i never got any because of the things
mentioned.. they are the glass sheet type, and do look very fragile (even
the notice on the wall they are mounted on confirms this.. the only notice
in the whole compound where you're told not to touch, and if you do you pay
for the resulting dammage! (everything else is army surpluss stuff, and
kinda of the 'if you break it you get a job as a tester for the army' kind
of thing

the other problem is they are heavy, being made all from glass.. and finaly
they are un-framed, so need a suatable frame building around the edges, and
that then needs sealing very well, as moisture getting between the sheets
destroys solar panels,

it's a same really, as they are at a good price, (ok they are old items so
the output wont be what's stated on the plate anymore (solar cells degrade
over time, they only put out 100% of their rated output in the factory, but
most are gaurenteed to put out 80% of their output for 5 years or so)

if they looked a bit stronger, i'd have got a couple last year, but after
seeing them i'm not so sure they'd be suitable for mobile use, and they are
kinda expensive to 'suck and see' especialy when i think the 45 quid
invested in one of them, could be 45 quid closer to a new alli framed light
weight panel from a solar supply shop.

« - | - »