Insurance recommendations for Hobby

Old July 28th 05, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Thornber

Default Insurance recommendations for Hobby

I've been asked to look into this by my father-in-law, who's sick of
paying a small fortune (about 380 quid a year) for insurance on his 7.2m
2003 Hobby Prestige, mainly because it's a large twin-axle, and thus
desirable to a certain element of society who aren't beyond helping
themselves to other people's property.

The caravan is permanently sited in North Wales, and has the usual
security precautions (decent wheel clamp, and AKS stabiliser with lock.)
I know you can get discounts from some insurers by fitting The Mule (I
don't think Caravan Guard will even touch a twin-axle without one now)
but the initial outlay doesn't appear to make this cost-effective other
than in the very long term.

--
David Thornber
Old July 28th 05, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"David Thornber" wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
I've been asked to look into this by my father-in-law, who's sick of
paying a small fortune (about 380 quid a year) for insurance on his 7.2m
2003 Hobby Prestige, mainly because it's a large twin-axle, and thus
desirable to a certain element of society who aren't beyond helping
themselves to other people's property.

The caravan is permanently sited in North Wales, and has the usual
security precautions (decent wheel clamp, and AKS stabiliser with lock.) I
know you can get discounts from some insurers by fitting The Mule (I don't
think Caravan Guard will even touch a twin-axle without one now) but the
initial outlay doesn't appear to make this cost-effective other than in
the very long term.

If it really is permanently sited and unlikely to move for a long time take
the axle and 'A' frame off it and store them at home, then don't bother to
insure it. Even the most hardened pikey is unlikely to find a replacement
axle and A frame from anywhere and if he does there's a reasonable chance
he'll work out for himself that he might as well steal the vehicle to which
the axle is attached rather than steal the axle, transport it across the
country, and bolt it on your van.

Rgds

Andy R

Old July 28th 05, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

about 380 quid a year) for insurance on his 7.2m
2003 Hobby Prestige, The caravan is permanently sited in North Wales,

Does he really need a tourer?
My permanently sited 33 ft static in Cheshire costs 32 a year- whilst the
1998 Lunar is 155, maybe they charge more 'cos it's primarily a road
vehicle.
DaveK.

Old July 28th 05, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:58:39 +0100, David Thornber
wrote:

I've been asked to look into this by my father-in-law, who's sick of
paying a small fortune (about 380 quid a year) for insurance on his 7.2m
2003 Hobby Prestige, mainly because it's a large twin-axle, and thus
desirable to a certain element of society who aren't beyond helping
themselves to other people's property.

The caravan is permanently sited in North Wales, and has the usual
security precautions (decent wheel clamp, and AKS stabiliser with lock.)
I know you can get discounts from some insurers by fitting The Mule (I
don't think Caravan Guard will even touch a twin-axle without one now)
but the initial outlay doesn't appear to make this cost-effective other
than in the very long term.

A lot of us with Hobbys on this NG are insured with NFU. From
experience they very good with claims. Only downside is they will only
pay out on awning damage if it happens at the same time the caravan is
damaged.

Lenny

Old July 28th 05, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lunar475

If you will buy a Pikey van......

Old July 28th 05, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lunar475

If you will buy a Pikey van......

Old July 28th 05, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Capt. Flack

It doesn't need to be a pikey van............ they will nick any 'van.

And don't think hitchlocks or wheel locks will stop them, they just `bypass'
the hitchlock and destroy wheel locks with custom made `hydraulics'.

"Lunar475" wrote in message
oups.com...
If you will buy a Pikey van......