Furniture panel repair??

Old July 30th 05, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Springtime

Default Furniture panel repair??

A few months ago I realised that there was a leak around the seal of the wet
locker door which has been letting in water when there was a torrential
downpour.
I have readjusted the locker door and now all seems fine.
however, the trickle of water has damaged the bottom of the internal end of
the locker panel (plastic coated board) and the chipboard between the
plastic coatings has gone to powdered sawdust for up to an inch above the
base of the panel. I am assuming that it is something like chipboard but I
could be wrong.
Strangely enough there is no evidence of a problem on the other side of the
panel (the face side).
I either have to replace the panel or perhaps fill the void with something
like expandable foam - any repair of this nature would be virtually
undetectable as the plastic facing coating is undamaged.
Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

SH

Old August 4th 05, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary

"Springtime" [spam] wrote in message
Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

We recently had a similar problem with our 10 yr old motorhome. Ours was
leaking through the cassette door. Unfortunately what youve found may be the
tip of the iceberg and you cant tell how far the problem goes until you get
in there.

We took out the loo, lifted the shower room floor took the offending wall
down which was plywood and found about 6inches of rotten cross members. It
was contructed with a 2 by 1" frame of white wood with slabs of solid
polystyrene in the spaces and topped with a sheet of plywood.

We replaced all rot with good, and used some polystyrene solid to fill in
the bigger squares ( between the noggins" and the expanding foam in the more
fiddly bits. Then rewalled with a good quality plywood.

Getting the loo fitting back in was a bit fiddly as we'd slightly altered
the dimensions by the repair. We then walpapered ( shower tile stuff) the
whole room to bring it up to standard.

You have to be very careful when nailing etc that you dont damage the
outside skin. Use the expanding foam sparingly. It expands alarmingly and
can even push the plywood off its nails/screws if you're too genorous.

HTH