Gas V charcoal BBQ's

Old August 11th 03, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
MJG

Default Gas V charcoal BBQ's

I am not wishing to start WW III but I was interested in a comment
made on GMTV this morning that there is no difference between a gas
BBQ and a charcoal BBQ because the food gets it's flavor from the
smoke generated from the fat landing on the coals.

This surprised me a little as I have used charcoal (both when at home
and when away in the 'van) for the best part of 20 odd years believing
they have the edge in the flavor stakes.

I would be prepared to consider a gas BBQ if the food tastes the same
as clearly the have the edge in the convenience dept......

What do the group think???

---
MJG

Take THEDOG out to email me.
Old August 11th 03, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
BM

"MJG" wrote in message
I am not wishing to start WW III but I was interested in a comment
made on GMTV this morning that there is no difference between a gas
BBQ and a charcoal BBQ because the food gets it's flavor from the
smoke generated from the fat landing on the coals.

This surprised me a little as I have used charcoal (both when at home
and when away in the 'van) for the best part of 20 odd years believing
they have the edge in the flavor stakes.

I would be prepared to consider a gas BBQ if the food tastes the same
as clearly the have the edge in the convenience dept......

What do the group think???

I used to think the same as you....BBQ=Charcoal=Ash on food=Taste ....but
i woz wrong (IMHO) so i got a portable gas BBQ from Homebase for 40 does a
great job, no hoping that the coals will stay hot enough to cook that last
big steak...just turn the gas up or down to control the heat, Still the same
reek of BBQ all over the site too..nice..
If you were near enough you could borrow mine to try, i think it`s a quick
easy way to barbie now.

BM.

Old August 11th 03, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

In article ,
says...
| I would be prepared to consider a gas BBQ if the food tastes the same
| as clearly the have the edge in the convenience dept......

I too was convinced charcoal was the only way to run a BBQ for the past
20 odd years, until this summer, but my mind is now firmly changed.

I am supposed to have a good sense of taste and I cannot tell any
difference at all, other than the food is a little cleaner.... No ash,
no bits of exploded of the top bits of black charcoal etc...

A gas one is hot and ready to cook in minutes, You don't mess about
filling it with charcoal, you just light it, it doesn't burn out and it
is very controllable. I also tend to think it might be cheaper to run.

The only disadvantage I am finding is that my gas BBQ tends to have hot
spots, but you soon find out where these are. We started with the
supplied lava rock, which seemed to produce very unevenly spread heat,
but now we are trying some manufactured briquette thingummies which are
supposed to contain bits of charcoal (????). If nothing else, with them
being of a regular shape, they make it a little easier spread them out
in a more regular thickness and seem to provide more even heat spread.

Harry (M1BYT)...

Remove the 'NOSPAM' in my email address to reply.

Free Amateur Radio Courses:-
http://www.ukradioamateur.org
Old August 12th 03, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

Ah Mary, you are making my jowls slaver; never mind we had a super BBQ by
gas to-night and the steak was so good that I just could not eat the side
salad Irene had prepared, I did manage the trifle though.
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Stewart" wrote in message
We have both and do not notice any difference provided that the coals or
lava are allowed to fully heat up before cooking. I do not think that

there
should be flames to be seen anywhere on either of the BBQs unless it is

from
dripping fat and then we put them out with a water spray.
"MJG" wrote in message
I am not wishing to start WW III but I was interested in a comment
made on GMTV this morning that there is no difference between a gas
BBQ and a charcoal BBQ because the food gets it's flavor from the
smoke generated from the fat landing on the coals.

I think we had rather a long thread on this subject some time ago - but it
might have been another ng. We bought a gas double BBQ on the basis of the
recommendations I read and I'm absoluely delighted. I shan't go back to
charcoal - which I've used, loved and recommended for years.

Even in the first week of my using the gas one I cooked meat, of course, I
smoked my own dry cured ham, I made bread, meringue, egg custards, a

sponge
cake, a whole duck (drake actually), an apple pie, a huge leg of ram and
other things I can't now remember. Everything was perfect. I've never been
able to do all that with charcoal. Even though I thought I could control

it
well the gas is far more controllable.

As for flavour, if fat goes on charcoal it burns and you get sooty food.

The
same happens with gas. I don't like that but if it's what you want you can

get it with gas as easily as with charcoal.

The other great benefit of gas, which was what sold me on it, is the lack

of
dust and dirt, especially in carting charcoal around. Last weekend we were
demonstrating at Bede's World, I was using charcoal in my firepot. At one
point I wiped the sweat off my face and the cloth was black. I must also
have been breathing it.

Mary

Old August 12th 03, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
MJG

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 23:20:59 +0100, MJG
wrote:

Many thanks to all who responded.

Looks like I'll be investing in a couple of gas BBQ's.

A big one for home and a portable one for the 'van.

Thanks again.

---
MJG

Take THEDOG out to email me.
Old August 12th 03, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

wrote:

Many thanks to all who responded.

Looks like I'll be investing in a couple of gas BBQ's.

A big one for home and a portable one for the 'van.

Thanks again.

---
MJG

Take THEDOG out to email me.

Well, my neighbour has just junked his gas bbq, and gone charcoal. He
complained that the food was soggy in the gas bbq.

Beeswax

Old August 13th 03, 01:29 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bowtiejim

"DaveK" wrote in message

there is no difference between a gas
BBQ and a charcoal BBQ because the food gets it's flavor from the
smoke generated from the fat landing on the coals.

Flavour is the same. Disadvantage is that the gas system does the job
quicker so you don't get to drink so much beer.
DaveK.

Gas and charcoal BBQs are banned on some sites here and abroad for obvious
reasons

Old August 13th 03, 05:17 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger M

In my experience charcoal BBQ's are frequently prohibited on camp sites
(particularly in France) because they are not so readily controlled as gas.
Often a communal, charcoal BBQ is provided. I was talking to one site
operator who told me his Insurance Co. refused to provide cover if he
allowed charcoal BBQ's.

Roger