Complete newbie would appreciate some pointers

Old July 31st 05, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Derek Heath

Default Complete newbie would appreciate some pointers

Hello,
Having previously had 2 small campervans (now too expensive) and 2 tents
(now too old to put up with the discomfort), my wife & I are
investigating a caravan.
But we know nothing about caravans or towing. I apparently need to know
things such as kerbweight & noseweight & sandwich construction?
Can you recommend a good website for beginners and also a good magazine?
We will be buying second-hand, we need a small two-berth van that can be
towed by a 1.4litre Renault 19 around the 1000 mark.
All help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Del
Old July 31st 05, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John White

"Derek Heath" wrote in message
Hello,
Having previously had 2 small campervans (now too expensive) and 2 tents
(now too old to put up with the discomfort), my wife & I are investigating
a caravan.
But we know nothing about caravans or towing. I apparently need to know
things such as kerbweight & noseweight & sandwich construction?
Can you recommend a good website for beginners and also a good magazine?
We will be buying second-hand, we need a small two-berth van that can be
towed by a 1.4litre Renault 19 around the 1000 mark.
All help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Del

Try here
http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk/index.htm
happy Vanning
JOHN

Old July 31st 05, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Derek Heath wrote:

Hello,
Having previously had 2 small campervans (now too expensive) and 2
tents (now too old to put up with the discomfort), my wife & I are
investigating a caravan.
But we know nothing about caravans or towing. I apparently need to
know things such as kerbweight & noseweight & sandwich construction?
Can you recommend a good website for beginners and also a good
magazine? We will be buying second-hand, we need a small two-berth
van that can be towed by a 1.4litre Renault 19 around the 1000 mark.
All help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Del

You could get yourself a copy of the Haynes Caravan Manual by John
Wickersham. Whilst this deals with maintaining and repairing caravans, it
also contains a lot of good basic material. You may be able to borrow a copy
from your local library.

Do you know anyone in the Caravan Club? Their handbook has a lot of stuff
about legalities, loading, tyres, electrics, etc. Handbooks are re-issued
every 2 years - so try to find someone who will give you their old one.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock