tyre pressures

Old July 31st 05, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
andy

Default tyre pressures

hiya

im nearly off on my hols and was just checking my tyres on my swift
challenger 4905se and noticed they looked a bit bulgy around the
bottom, reading the tyre wall it says 55 psi, blew em up to that and
they look ok, but there as hard as nails,

i know its a heavy van, but 55psi.........

if its right then fine, if not what would happen if i went for some
distance on them.

so whats the groups opinions on tyres for vans, the ones on mine are
steel belted 4 or 5 ply 13" and called maxmiler.

andy
Old July 31st 05, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David @ Home

"andy" wrote in message
hiya

im nearly off on my hols and was just checking my tyres on my swift
challenger 4905se and noticed they looked a bit bulgy around the
bottom, reading the tyre wall it says 55 psi, blew em up to that and
they look ok, but there as hard as nails,

i know its a heavy van, but 55psi.........

if its right then fine, if not what would happen if i went for some
distance on them.

so whats the groups opinions on tyres for vans, the ones on mine are
steel belted 4 or 5 ply 13" and called maxmiler.

andy

Refer to the caravan handbook for the correct pressure for your van. While
you are in there make sure you have the right spec of tyre. You don't say
what age your Swift is, but most recent 490s on 13 inch wheels were on a
commercial tyre and that did run at 54psi. The brand is unimportant, the
weight rating for your van is much more important.

Cheers

Old August 1st 05, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Shuttleworth

Well worth checking exactly what the pressure should be. If the pressure's
too high, you'll be on scrambled eggs fro a while, but if it's too low, the
tyres overheat and destroy themselves.

My Abbey came fitted with minimum spec tyres from the manufacturer.
Subsequently, one of them blew out at 60mph and nigh on wrecked the van, my
car, and the car of some unsuspecting old dear who was following me at the
time. I've changed them to the highest spec I could find (the van supplier
paid when I pointed out how much it would cost in court) and the van rides
much better than it ever did before.

I used to be blase about tyres, but I pay full attention nowadays.

Steve

Old August 1st 05, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ludwig Van Beethoven

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 22:33:38 +0100, andy wrote:

hiya

im nearly off on my hols and was just checking my tyres on my swift
challenger 4905se and noticed they looked a bit bulgy around the
bottom, reading the tyre wall it says 55 psi, blew em up to that and
they look ok, but there as hard as nails,

Can't help with what your pressure should be but was quite surprised
when the dealer advised me that the tyres on my new van should be
blown up to 62 psi.

....Ludwig