Awning pegs

Old July 31st 05, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andrew

Default Awning pegs

What awning pegs are best for hard standings? Mine have turned a funny
banana shape.

Andrew.

Old July 31st 05, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David @ Home

"Andrew" wrote in message
What awning pegs are best for hard standings? Mine have turned a funny
banana shape.

Andrew.

Hard Ground pegs, I would have thought.

Cheers

Old August 1st 05, 06:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Andrew came up with the following;:
What awning pegs are best for hard standings? Mine have turned a funny
banana shape.

Straight ones?

We use rocky ground pegs, which are somewhat akin to long nails with a
cross-piece welded near the top instead of a bend. We also have some with
plastic formed tops, which are great until you break the plastic and find
that you can't just buy the plastic, unless someone knows different ...

http://www.towsure.com/default.asp?t=429&p=0&d=35

9" Cross Rock pegs and 9" Pile Driver peg, but with tops similar to the
fibre pegs ...

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old August 1st 05, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Andrew" wrote in message
What awning pegs are best for hard standings? Mine have turned a funny
banana shape.

LOL! So have ours - the plastic ones. But Spouse insists that they still
work :-)

I wanted to get some of the screw-in ones but they really are very
expensive.Our awnings have withstood a Force 8 gale on a Scottish island,
and on the north coast of Antrim, heavy snow and lashing rain such as you
can only get on a Welsh mountainside. I think the secret is to use as many
pegs as possible rather than the type of pegs, although wooden ones aren't
spectacularly good. And a storm lashing of course :-)

Mary

Andrew.

Old August 3rd 05, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Colloff

The message
from "Andrew" said:

What awning pegs are best for hard standings? Mine have turned a funny
banana shape.

The problem is not so much the peg but getting through the layer of the
hard standing.

When I first hit this problem of steel banana-shape pegs I was getting
desperate. I went to a nearby car spares shop and bought a cheap large
screwdriver that had a central steel shaft core, and used that to make
the hole for the steel peg. The plastic handle soon shattered but three
years later I am still using it to get the first 6" into the hard
standing.
After that the straight steel pins go in easily. (Took a couple of
hours at home with a good vice to correct all the 'banana-shapes'.)

Last month at Abbey Wood the warden was recommending a small (?) battery
power drill with masonry type bit. He could have been joking as there
is no reason why an ordinary power drill could not be used from the
'van, once the mains were connected.

HTH John.