Status Aerials

Old August 1st 05, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Bowyer

Default Status Aerials

Hi all

The scenario is simple (I know...it always is with Status omniviews) - I get
absolutely crap reception if I use the omniview - even at home (where
reception is normally very good).
If I plug my status vision plus aerial directly into the TV - reception is
great....if I plug the vision plus into the coax point mounted on the
van.....reception remains crap (whether the booster is on/off or low/high).

No I'm assuming that the external coax point runs through the omniview
booster, so the signal from either should (in theory) get boosted before it
reaches the TV ? To me therefore, it suggests that the cable running from
the van wall/omniview to the TV point is suspect ?

Does anybody have any "fixes" apart from the "don't bother with omniviews"

Cheers n beers

Steve

Old August 1st 05, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

Steve Bowyer said the following on 01/08/2005 19:48:
Hi all

The scenario is simple (I know...it always is with Status omniviews) - I get
absolutely crap reception if I use the omniview - even at home (where
reception is normally very good).
If I plug my status vision plus aerial directly into the TV - reception is
great....if I plug the vision plus into the coax point mounted on the
van.....reception remains crap (whether the booster is on/off or low/high).

No I'm assuming that the external coax point runs through the omniview
booster, so the signal from either should (in theory) get boosted before it
reaches the TV ? To me therefore, it suggests that the cable running from
the van wall/omniview to the TV point is suspect ?

Does anybody have any "fixes" apart from the "don't bother with omniviews"

Cheers n beers

Steve

I presume that the external co-ax is on the awning side? if so then it
is probably an output of the amplifier, if so use a co-ax tee on the two
co-ax cables that are plugged into the status box outputs and bypass the
box this should connect the external socket directly to the internal TV
socket - hope that makes sense.

Roy

Old August 1st 05, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bob Douglas

"Steve Bowyer" wrote in message
[...]

Steve,

I suspect the configuration is much as your other reply from Roy describes
(i.e. the external point is an output, not an input).

There is another point here, however. AFAIK it is still the case (reference
to GradeUK website seems to confirm) that the 'booster' on the Status is not
in fact a booster!

The amplifier is up in the aerial, the 'booster' is simply the power pack,
with two settings, and the power going up the coax to the aerial. (A well
tested masthead amplifier technique).

They do sell boosters, (for use with their directional aerials) but they are
subtly different in look and function.

So, even reversing the external connection (something I've done with a
different design of omnidirectional that does have a separate booster),
won't give you a boosted signal.

FWIW, the status is much-maligned. On a previous 'van I had real problems
with reception, but found with Grade's assistance, that the coax on the
output socket for the fly lead was shorted (a poor installation job) and
once corrected the reception was fine. (I'm in a marginal area here).

I do prefer a directional though.

Bob
--
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00

Old August 1st 05, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Bowyer

Roy wrote.....
I presume that the external co-ax is on the awning side? if so then it is
probably an output of the amplifier, if so use a co-ax tee on the two
co-ax cables that are plugged into the status box outputs and bypass the
box this should connect the external socket directly to the internal TV
socket - hope that makes sense.

Roy

Cheers for that - I will give it a try at the weekend....who knows what else
I've been doing the wrong way round for all these years !!!!!!!

Old August 2nd 05, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Wiltshire

[...]

Guys,

When I bought my 'van new in 1999, reception using the omni was poor, even
though I live in a strong signal area. The clue was that switching the power
supply box on and off made little difference. There were volts on the input
socket (to power the amp) when it was switched on though. Turned out that,
again due to poor installation, the centre core was broken in the input coax
plug, hence RF could cross the tiny gap due to capacitance, but there was no
DC path for the amplifier current. Refitting the plug fixed it.

Having said that, the omni is still unimpressive, as it has poor multipath
performance (obviously) and is nigh-on useless for FM.
I use it on when setting up at a site to ascertain which transmitter is
strongest and/or provides the most channels (not all relays have Channel
Five and very few have DTT) and use a directional after that. A car radio
aerial permanently mounted on the side of the van gives sterling service on
FM.

IMHO 'vans should be supplied without aerials at all, but still with cabling
and internal & external sockets - this would improve headroom and wouldn't
compromise the roof sealing, plus there would be a slight cost saving.

Cheers,

Dave.

Old August 2nd 05, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Technophobe

"Dave Wiltshire" wrote in message

[...]

Just for a change I decided to read the instructions that came with my new
Caravan. It actually stated that the second socket on that Powersupply
thingy is intended for FM/AM, Does that mean that there is a low pass
filter there to stop degrading the UHF signal? I checked my installation
and the outside socket was plugged into that second socket and it was
teriible. I wanted to use it as another input for use on sites that need
the feed lead or I need to use my small stick on yagi. So I unplugged it
from the (Radio) socket and plug it into the input socket when I need it..
I too had to fix poor installation of twisted inner and outer....why do
they do that I wonder!

Just thort I would throw my pennuth in.
Dave