Hello and (quite) a few wiring questions

Old August 2nd 05, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nick Brooks

Default Hello and (quite) a few wiring questions

Hello

This is my first post to this group, I have searched the archives but
would appreciate your suggestions. Also I ought to mention that I've got
a 1974 Mercedes 206D camper not a caravan, but hope you won't look down
on me for that!

So, I'd like to sort out the decrepid state of the auxiliary battery. At
present there is a split charge relay and a permenantly connected
Halfords battery charger of unknown type. We're intending to keep this
vehicle for a long time so I don't mind investing in a really good set-up.

There is a three way fridge, a water pump, a few lights and a stereo on
the auxiliary system

I'd like to install :-

A 56W Solara semi-flexible solar panel to be glued to the roof
A Solara Charge controller (as it comes in the kit)
A new Deep Cycle Wet Lead Acid Battery - possibly Varta
A switch mode battery charger for when I'm on the mains
An small inverter for a laptop and phone/camera chargers
I may add a wind turbine at a later date

A number of questions arise:-

Am I likely to encounter any problems connecting this lot up?

Can the battery charger remain permanently connected?

Should the inverter be switched off when not in use?

Is there any significant difference between brands of charge controller?

Should I install a secondary fuse box?

Is a battery monitor a good idea?

Are combined inverter/charger/charge controllers worth the money?

Anything glaringly obvious I may have missed greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nick Brooks
Old August 2nd 05, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Nick Brooks wrote:

[...]

Just a couple of comments . . .

I'm not sure of the wisdom of having two separate battery chargers (mains
and solar) in circuit at the same time - even if connected via back-to-back
diodes. A simple change-over switch would be better.

Do you really need an inverter. All the devices you mention use low
voltage - and it is inefficient to produce 'mains' from 12v, only to
transform it down again and rectify it. For the phone - at least - why not
use a 12v charger designed to plug into a cigar lighter socket? You can
probably do the same for the laptop and camera.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old August 2nd 05, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Hitch Lock came up with the following;:
Nick Brooks wrote:

[...]

wotesaid.

We run a Sony Laptop via a car cigarette lighter socket rather than an
inverter and it lasts forever. With the inverter we used to get about 8
hours runtime. (Sony batteries on my old laptop are crap)

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!