Tow ratings

Old August 2nd 05, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Todd

Default Tow ratings

Greetings.

I live in the U.S. I'm posting here as I have a question about tow
ratings on cars in the U.K. in perticular the Kia brand.

I have a Kia Sedona minivan. Here in the US it has a 3.5L 24 valve V6
engine. It is rated to tow a maximum of 3500 lbs (1587 kg). The same
vehicle in the UK with a 2.5L V6 petro engine is rated at 2000 kg (or
about 4500 lbs).

The Kia Sorento in the US is rated for the same 3500 lbs (1587 kg), but
the UK version of the same vehicle is rated for 2800 kg (or 6172 lbs)!
That is a 4500 kg difference in the same vehicle!

Are these numbers correct in the UK? Does anyone know why there is such
a difference between the US and UK version of the same vehicle?

Thank you.

Todd

Old August 2nd 05, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"Todd" wrote in news:1123007491.359316.79720
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I live in the U.S. I'm posting here as I have a question about tow
ratings on cars in the U.K. in perticular the Kia brand.

I have a Kia Sedona minivan. Here in the US it has a 3.5L 24 valve V6
engine. It is rated to tow a maximum of 3500 lbs (1587 kg). The same
vehicle in the UK with a 2.5L V6 petro engine is rated at 2000 kg (or
about 4500 lbs).

The Kia Sorento in the US is rated for the same 3500 lbs (1587 kg), but
the UK version of the same vehicle is rated for 2800 kg (or 6172 lbs)!
That is a 4500 kg difference in the same vehicle!

Are these numbers correct in the UK? Does anyone know why there is such
a difference between the US and UK version of the same vehicle?

I suspect that the difference is in the definition of "towing capacity".
In UK, this is defined by the ability of a vehicle to re-start on a
particular gradient (usually 12%), and has little to do with safety. I
don't know how Americans define this, but the difference in capacities
for essentially the same vehicle suggests the US have different criteria.

For info, the 2.9 turbo-diesel Sedona has a manufacturer's towing limit
of 2000kg (same as you suggest for the V6).

HTH,

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK

Old August 2nd 05, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Another Dave

Todd wrote:

I have a Kia Sedona minivan. Here in the US it has a 3.5L 24 valve V6
engine. It is rated to tow a maximum of 3500 lbs (1587 kg). The same
vehicle in the UK with a 2.5L V6 petro engine is rated at 2000 kg (or
about 4500 lbs).

The Kia Sorento in the US is rated for the same 3500 lbs (1587 kg), but
the UK version of the same vehicle is rated for 2800 kg (or 6172 lbs)!
That is a 4500 kg difference in the same vehicle!

Are these numbers correct in the UK? Does anyone know why there is such
a difference between the US and UK version of the same vehicle?

The general opinion over here is that you should NEVER tow more than the
kerbside weight of the towing vehicle and preferably less than 85% of
that weight unless you're very experienced and careful.
The max. towing weight given by the manufacturers is usually the maximum
weight the car will restart up a 1 in 10 hill - a completely different idea.
Looking at:

http://www.clicreports.co.uk/

and navigating to the cars you mention will give you the kerb weight,
the 85% weight and the manufacturer's fantasy figure.

I've no idea where the US figures come from.

--
Change nospam to webtribe in e-mail address

Old August 2nd 05, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Another Dave

Another Dave wrote:

http://www.clicreports.co.uk/

Sorry, that should have been:

http://www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/kerbweights.htm

--
Change nospam to webtribe in e-mail address

Old August 2nd 05, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Todd

Very interesting. Thank you for the information.

Todd

Old August 2nd 05, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Todd

Old August 2nd 05, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne

"Todd" wrote in message
ups.com...
Greetings.

I live in the U.S. I'm posting here as I have a question about tow
ratings on cars in the U.K. in perticular the Kia brand.

I have a Kia Sedona minivan. Here in the US it has a 3.5L 24 valve V6
engine. It is rated to tow a maximum of 3500 lbs (1587 kg). The same
vehicle in the UK with a 2.5L V6 petro engine is rated at 2000 kg (or
about 4500 lbs).

The Kia Sorento in the US is rated for the same 3500 lbs (1587 kg), but
the UK version of the same vehicle is rated for 2800 kg (or 6172 lbs)!
That is a 4500 kg difference in the same vehicle!

Are these numbers correct in the UK? Does anyone know why there is such
a difference between the US and UK version of the same vehicle?

Thank you.

Todd

I do seem to remember that this has come up in the past, someone from the
USA wanted to bring their car to the UK and tow a caravan with it. Do you
still use mainly automatic gearboxes in the USA as this could be a
contributing factor as even here in the UK autos often have a lower towing
allowance. Have you thought about contacting Kia in the USA and pointing the
difference out?

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk