Leisure battery indicator question

Old August 2nd 05, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Blobby

Default Leisure battery indicator question

I purchased a 85Amp Leisure battery with a Turbo charger. The charger
is only an entry level model and it takes 15hrs to fully charge a 45Amp
battery. To fully charge the 85Amp battery it says in the instructions
to leave it charging for a longer time. I have charged it now for 24hrs
and the battery only seems half full(as per the chargers battery
meter). The battery keeps on making bubbling noises and I have attached
an adaptor and mini tube to the ventilation hole as per the
instructions. I would have expected the battery to be more charged than
it is. Also the green indicator light is green but has small metal bits
on it which are clearly visible and were not there before. Is this
normal or does this indicate that the battery might be faulty? I have
tested the battery and it appears to work.......

Old August 2nd 05, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Blobby" wrote in message
oups.com...
I purchased a 85Amp Leisure battery with a Turbo charger.

If a leisure battery drops to less than than 10 volts, it's goosed.
Cannot be recovered. To the dump. It can happen by just allowing it to sit
in the locker for a couple of months without being recharged. When it's
knacked-putting it on a permanent charge for days can destroy your charger.
DaveK.

Old August 3rd 05, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
rob_jax

Do you have a digital voltmeter? If not buy a low cost one from an
electronics shop or the Internet (under 10 should be adequate quality
and accuracy). Why digital? Because differences of 0.1 Volts are
significant in determining the charge state of the battery.

Disconnect the battery from the charger and anything else it is
connected to. Attach the digital volt meter, red to positive, black to
negative, set the range to Volts.

100% charged should show a voltage of 12.6 Volts
75% charged should be 12.5 volts - hence the reason for accuracy
50% charged is 12.3 volts
10% charged is 11.7 volts

If you see 12.6 volts, then keep using the battery - it should be OK
If you see less than 12.5 volts then the battery is not fully charged,
but if you see the battery voltage to be down by multiples of 2 volts -
such as 10.5 or 8.4 volts - then one or more cells are dead - and it's
only fit for recycling.

Robert

Old August 3rd 05, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Blobby

I've gone back to the shop to test the battery and all seems fine. It's
actually fully charged as they tested it with some sort of hydrometer
(I think). The battery meter on the charger apparently is a lot of
rubbish.....thanks for all that responded.....

Old August 3rd 05, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Colloff

Hello, can I jump onto this topic, please?

I have just had a leisure battery failure that was a bit worrying.

The battery was 3 years old and had sat in the 'van, which is nearly
always connected to the mains either on site, or at home.
I had always assumed that the 'van charger was a 'float' charge, just
keeping it in good condition.

In the spring it needed a little topping up, as usual.
Last time out, in July, I realised that the battery was getting hot, but
holding some charge when tested to run lights.
Once back home I checked expecting to find it needing a lot of electrolyte.
It did not, and on charge it soon was gassing slightly on 3 amps charge.
24 hours later it was hot and still taking 3 amps.
The volts had not dropped by 2, but not sure how much above 12 the meter
reading was.

As there was obviously a fault I have replaced it, and I am now
concerned to have an early warning of any similar future problems. A
friend suggested a cheap ammeter just on the battery, but that would
need regular inspection.

Is there a simple electronic circuit that I could install with, say 4,
led's let into small holes in the battery compartment door to be visible
from outside, triggered to indicate, say; low, 1 amp, 3 amp and 6 amp
charging currents? Then I could keep an eye on it whenever walking
past.

I shudder to think what might have happened if we had just hitched up
and gone off to the South of France or Spain, where the temperature
would surely have been dangerously high.

I am also considering putting the mains feed to the caravan when at
home, on a time switch, so that the supply is not continuous, and
another switch on the 12v side to discharge the battery a little. Any
one done this?

Thanks for reading this far, comments welcome. John.

Old August 4th 05, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On 3 Aug 2005 10:16:38 -0700, "Blobby" wrote:

I've gone back to the shop to test the battery and all seems fine. It's
actually fully charged as they tested it with some sort of hydrometer
(I think). The battery meter on the charger apparently is a lot of
rubbish.....thanks for all that responded.....

Sound like the charger is cooking the battery, you should never charge
a leisure battery with more than 14.5 volts applied to it.

Lenny