Caravan security

Old August 4th 05, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Maddern

Default Caravan security

We recently had our caravan stolen. The thieves prised open a hefty wheel
clamp like it was putty! Also the hitchlock got taken off. Now my wife is
"hyper" in case we'll get our van replacement stolen. In fact, this
experience has almost put us off getting a replacement van!

What is the experience of members of this group about security devices that
actually PREVENT thieves from making off with a van? (I'm beginning to think
that clamps are worthless and that the only option is a GPS tracker device).

Secondly, in the light of the recent theft, we're anxious in case our
prospective new van will be stolen from its prospective winter storage! Have
members been able to get cost effective annual storage (let's say for around
200 p.a.) in a secure compound with a proper barrier? If so, please could
you share your experiences so I can form some ideas of which type of
locations to approach for storage for the new van when we get it.

Thanks

Peter

Old August 4th 05, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Peter Maddern" [email protected]

? (I'm beginning to think
that clamps are worthless and that the only option is a GPS tracker
device).

I think if my caravan was stolen I would not want it back, I would be afraid
of what they might have done to it. Also think your wife would not sleep
well there after in it knowing somealse had.

Regarding clamps etc. I feel what ever you do if they are determind to have
it they will get it.

The thing you will have is how good your insurance company was in dealing
with the loss, can you share that with us?
How do you expect your pemium to fair at renewal, and have they requested
extra security for the new caravan?

Please reply to News Group

Old August 4th 05, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Maddern

I agree - we don't actually want the old one back. My questions were
relating to security on the new one.

Re the insurance company - I gave them a full written report along with
pictures of the bent wheel clamp and all the details. This was in addition
to the theft form. I think that full report must have helped,

Theft was 24.6
Loss adjuster came out to see us on 14.7 (3 weeks)
We heard today that they will give us "new for old" plus equipment up to a
max of the sum insured minus the excess (100)

All in all, I think they moved fast. The only downer was the loss adjuster
gives you a tough probing interview but that's their job when all is said
and done.

Lessons I learned from this sorry episode:-

Never tell anyone except the park owners you're going to be away from the
van at any time
Think long and hard about security measures and are they enough.
Think of installing a tracker device
Never keep caravan paperwork (especially the CRIS registration document) in
the caravan
Never leave valuables you couldn't bear to lose in the caravan whilst you're
away
Ensure that the sum insured will cover the costs of a new van plus
equipment.

I don't know how we'll fair with regard to our renewal premium and as we
haven't got the new van yet, we don't know if they'll ask for more security
next time round

Peter

Old August 4th 05, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Capt. Flack

A colleague at work has recently suffered the loss of his new van.

Unfortunately he was working nights at the time and his wife saw and heard
the `events' on the drive.

She immediately phoned the police and was told to stay inside and stay calm.

The thieves destroyed the top-of-the-range hitch and wheel locks in seconds
with custom made hydraulics stowed in the back of `their' Volvo.

They towed the van off the drive with alarm blaring and this was 3 in the
morning !

The locks were left on the drive in pieces and a bloody great gouge had also
been put in the drive ( something to with the kit they used )

The whole incident has put him off caravanning.

On a brighter note the insurance company paid out quickly and he is now
thinking of buying a motorhome instead, I also bought the remaining kit he
had left in the garage for a knock-down price

BTW I keep my nearly-new van down the road on somebody's elses land for 15
/ month. It's not overly secure, but it's not on my drive and not
constantly in view to `passer-bys'.

Old August 4th 05, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Maddern

The Wiltshire Police who were handling our theft said there's been a spate
of caravan thefts in Wiltshire over the last few months to the tune of over
100,000!

I did some internet dearching and came up with this April 05 press release

http://www.wiltshire.police.uk/news/newsview.asp?id=672

This news release has some good suggestions on van security.

Peter

k...

Old August 4th 05, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Fergie

I see no-one has replied to

"What is the experience of members of this group about security devices that
actually PREVENT thieves from making off with a van? "

It seems the hydraulic armed thief cannot be stopped .. unless someone can
tell us all how to do it. I have an HD clampon one wheel, Eurolock on the
other, chained to Oxford ground anchor, bike locked to another ground
anchor, plus alko hitchlock ... how far do we go to protect our vans ?

regards

Ferg