TV

« - | - »

Old August 4th 05, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
wally

Default TV

It's time to get a new TV for the van.
A TV that runs on ac/dc costs a lot more that
one that runs on mains only, so I was thinking of
getting an inverter and running a 14" mains only.

Any thoughts and comments would be helpful.

Thanks

Wally

Old August 4th 05, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"wally" wrote in message
It's time to get a new TV for the van.
A TV that runs on ac/dc costs a lot more that
one that runs on mains only, so I was thinking of
getting an inverter and running a 14" mains only.

It's a rare event for us to use a site without mains electricity. We've been
using a mains only 14" tv for years.
I have a 12v/240v Hinari 9" but it lives in the kitchen.
A 5" monochrome, about 20 takes up little room in a locker and will suffice
for the odd times you camp in the cowfield.
DaveK.

Old August 4th 05, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

wally wrote:

It's time to get a new TV for the van.
A TV that runs on ac/dc costs a lot more that
one that runs on mains only, so I was thinking of
getting an inverter and running a 14" mains only.

Any thoughts and comments would be helpful.

Thanks

Wally

Be aware that your TV will probably consume between 40 and 50 watts - which
is peanuts on mains, but will require a current of 4 or 5 amps or more from
your battery - allowing for inverter (in)efficiency. This is ok for short
breaks (weekends) provided you're not glued to the telly for the whole
time - but not suitable for longer periods without some means of re-charging
your battery.

You'll also need some decent wiring between the battery and inverter - the
standard caravan 12v accessory wiring (terminating in little square 2-pin
sockets with angled pin slots) will *not* do.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old August 4th 05, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Rooney

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 22:59:38 +0100, "Hitch Lock"
wrote:

standard caravan 12v accessory wiring (terminating in little square 2-pin
sockets with angled pin slots)

Ah, so that's what they are for!

"I always knew the entire Green party were nutters" - Ken Livingstone

Old August 4th 05, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

wrote:

standard caravan 12v accessory wiring (terminating in little square 2-pin
sockets with angled pin slots)

Ah, so that's what they are for!
--

Last time I saw them was on my 1972 Trophy. (Good little van it was- 11'4"
and five berth).

Old August 5th 05, 01:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Landline

You can work on every 10w at 220/240vAC on a reasonable quality inverter is
1.0 amp on 12vDC
50w on 220/240vAC will be 5.0 amps on 12vDC
The small sine wave inverters are generally better than 90% efficient, and
does not appear to make any worthwhile difference running 12vDC or mains TV.
LCD TV are now so cheap and readily available in 12vDC negates the price of
new telly as well as purchasing quality inverter
Great thing about LCD TV is space saving and low power consumption on 12vDC
We never stay on powered sites or sites that want money and use solar panels
to charge the batteries