Kia Sedona 2.9 - how to spot CRDI vs TDI

Old August 4th 05, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tox O'Grady

Default Kia Sedona 2.9 - how to spot CRDI vs TDI

I posted below on the maintenance NG but figured there might be a few Kia
Sedona owners browsing this NG also.

I almost bought a nov01 2.9 Sedona SE this afters but withdrew on the last
minute because I could not tell if the engine was a 'common rail CRDi' (
143bhp ) version.

The car model was a phase II version with the bigger grill. I understood
that the earlier models called LX,SX,GSX all had the TD (125bhp ) engine ,
but the phase II which were post Nov 01 called L,LE,SE were the 2.9 CRDI
versions. Parsker website seems to confirm this.

The problem is, when I looked on the engine, nothing on the plastic covers
said CDRi, in fact all I called find was "TDI double overhead cam 16V"

The seller did advertise it as a CRDI so he's now flapping because he
doesn't know what the hell it is.
We actually rang the local dealers and their mechanics looked ar a nearly
new Sedona and an older one. The nearly new one definately said CRDi on the
cover and the old one said TDI.

If I could get some pointers that could satisfy me once an for all then I
can either go for it or just move on.

EG if it said 16V, would this indicate is was a later version ? perhaps the
original one was just 8V

Has any got any pics of the different engine bays so I can make a judgement?

Thx

Old August 4th 05, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 20:18:10 GMT, "Tox O'Grady"
wrote:

[...]

Hi,
I've got the 125bhp it says on the plastic engine cover 2.9 DOCH 16V
TDI.
Ones with the 125 engine have the toothed grill & sliding seats.

The CDI's have the slated grill & a smaller air scoop & lift out
seats. On the CDI sliding seats are available on some models but not
until 2004.

You could find a an older one for sale which is definitely the 125
test drive & then drive the one you are interested in you will find
the CDI is notably more responsive well pulling away.

You could pone Kia UK with the chassis & engine numbers I'm sure they
would be able to confirm the engine type.

Lenny

Old August 4th 05, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tox O'Grady

Hi,
I've got the 125bhp it says on the plastic engine cover 2.9 DOCH 16V
TDI.
Ones with the 125 engine have the toothed grill & sliding seats.

The CDI's have the slated grill & a smaller air scoop & lift out
seats. On the CDI sliding seats are available on some models but not
until 2004.

You could find a an older one for sale which is definitely the 125
test drive & then drive the one you are interested in you will find
the CDI is notably more responsive well pulling away.

You could pone Kia UK with the chassis & engine numbers I'm sure they
would be able to confirm the engine type.

Lenny

The two things I can confirm are :-
a) the reg on the doc was 15/11/01 and the model was definately a MkII 'SE'
( WITHOUT TOOTHED GRILL )

b) the engine cover had TDI 2.9 DOHC 16V on it.

This is whats strange...they seem to contradict as if its a new body with an
old spec engine. It certainly sounded pretty quiet on startup...like a HDI
engine ( my pop has got a C5 HDI 110 )

What I was hoping to establish is that maybe it is a common rail, but the
first versions possibly didn't have a CRDi logo written on the cover. If
there's any people watching with '02' plate diesel Sedonas...whats on your
cover!!

Old August 4th 05, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 20:56:04 GMT, "Tox O'Grady"
wrote:

This is whats strange...they seem to contradict as if its a new body with an
old spec engine. It certainly sounded pretty quiet on startup...like a HDI
engine ( my pop has got a C5 HDI 110 )

I've had a new CDI as a loan car when mines been in for a service
noise level is about the same for both engines.

I still think the best option is to give Kia a ring with engine &
chassis numbers.

Lenny