Cheap Freeview set-top box

Old August 5th 05, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Uno Hoo!

Default Cheap Freeview set-top box

Just got back from a two week stay down in Cornwall. The site we were on had
fairly poor TV reception (even with an additional directional aerial). ITV
was ok but BBC was almost unwatchable and the other two were ropey. Saw an
advert for the new Argos brochure and they have Sagem Freeview boxes for
29.99. Went into Falmouth and bought one and it's terrific. Very small so
sits neatly on the top of the portable TV - all the extra channels loaded
within seconds and all crystal clear.
I'm aware that Freeview coverage is not available across all of the
country - but for 29.99 you can't go wrong!

Kev

Old August 5th 05, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
BOTTLE

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message
Just got back from a two week stay down in Cornwall. The site we were on

had
fairly poor TV reception (even with an additional directional aerial). ITV
was ok but BBC was almost unwatchable and the other two were ropey. Saw an
advert for the new Argos brochure and they have Sagem Freeview boxes for
29.99. Went into Falmouth and bought one and it's terrific. Very small so
sits neatly on the top of the portable TV - all the extra channels loaded
within seconds and all crystal clear.
I'm aware that Freeview coverage is not available across all of the
country - but for 29.99 you can't go wrong!

Kev

Might be wrong here but we had thought of purchasing one of these but I

was led to understand that the signal still came through your aerial, thus
we thought that if reception was poor then these chanels would also be poor,
we are most interested in this as a site we intend to visit next year is
noted as poor reception.

Old August 5th 05, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Uno Hoo! wrote:

Just got back from a two week stay down in Cornwall. The site we were
on had fairly poor TV reception (even with an additional directional
aerial). ITV was ok but BBC was almost unwatchable and the other two
were ropey. Saw an advert for the new Argos brochure and they have
Sagem Freeview boxes for 29.99. Went into Falmouth and bought one
and it's terrific. Very small so sits neatly on the top of the
portable TV - all the extra channels loaded within seconds and all
crystal clear.
I'm aware that Freeview coverage is not available across all of the
country - but for 29.99 you can't go wrong!

Kev

And it worked on a site with poor terrestrial reception? That's got to be
good!

Does it carry Argos's usual 16-day refund guarantee?
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old August 5th 05, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Uno Hoo!

"BOTTLE" wrote in message
.uk...

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message
[...]

I understood similarly - that if normal tv reception was poor then it was
unlikely that Freeview would work. All I can say is that it did for me! As I
mention above, the only channel on 'normal' tv that was any good was ITV.
BBC was rubbish and the other two were poor. I had no problem at all with
Freeview however - there was very occasional 'pixelation' on some of the
channels, but it was very infrequent - perhaps only once or twice per night
and lasted only a second or two. I don't doubt that different locations will
produce different results - but at less than thirty quid it's worth a try!

Kev

Old August 5th 05, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Uno Hoo!

"Hitch Lock" wrote in message
Uno Hoo! wrote:

Just got back from a two week stay down in Cornwall. The site we were
on had fairly poor TV reception (even with an additional directional
aerial). ITV was ok but BBC was almost unwatchable and the other two
were ropey. Saw an advert for the new Argos brochure and they have
Sagem Freeview boxes for 29.99. Went into Falmouth and bought one
and it's terrific. Very small so sits neatly on the top of the
portable TV - all the extra channels loaded within seconds and all
crystal clear.
I'm aware that Freeview coverage is not available across all of the
country - but for 29.99 you can't go wrong!

Kev

And it worked on a site with poor terrestrial reception? That's got to be
good!

Does it carry Argos's usual 16-day refund guarantee?

No it doesn't for some reason - presumably because of the low price. This
was pointed out to me as I placed the order. The girl at the cash desk also
asked whether I had checked out my post code for coverage. When I told her I
would be using it in a caravan she pointed out that it would not work
everywhere because Freeview coverage is not 100%.

Kev

Kev

Old August 5th 05, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message

"Hitch Lock" wrote in message
Uno Hoo! wrote:

[...]

If one checks your post code and you live in an area that should be OK are
you still OK for the 16 day return?
( I'm talking home use.)
One will be covered for faulty goods though as useual.

Please reply to News Group