Why are Hobby twin axles so cheap ?

Old August 5th 05, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tox O'Grady

Default Why are Hobby twin axles so cheap ?

Well...after tomorrow , I'll have taken my first big step to getting a
caravan. All going well I'm due to collect my 2001 2.9 Kia Sedona SE avec
towbar.
I need an MPV anyway due to having three kids and I wasn't keen to get a
4x4.

Anyway, next in line is to begin the hunt a big 6 berth van for my Korean
tractor to pull. This car weighs 2.2 ton and has a 2 ton limit. Its engine
is 143bhp and theres scope to chip it to 160+...but don't know what extra
torque is available. Either way I figure it could easily cope with any 650/6
twin axle van available.

After I've searched for training schools for towing & resersing caravans I
want to establish what the most suitable big van is for my needs.Hence the
post topic

I've seen some 2002 models on autotrader and 6250 seems really cheap. So
cheap...it makes you think whats the pitfalls about twin axle vans.

What would I be getting myself into If I get a large van ? Insurance , theft
risk , etc etc

Old August 5th 05, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
andy

In message , Tox O'Grady
muttered:

[...]

I'm the owner of a shorter Hobby 'van.

If the 'van you're thinking of is 2.5 metres wide (as opposed to the
normal maximum of 2.3 metres), strictly speaking it's classed as a
commercial trailer (I think!). This means 2 things:

1. It's not strictly legal to tow with a 'car' (Transit van is OK!).
2. There is no VAT when they are purchased new, so prices are cheaper.

Buy your own (shorter) 'van direct from Germany.

--
Andy

Old August 5th 05, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 19:05:58 GMT, "Tox O'Grady"
wrote:

[...]

Sedona only weights 2 ton to tow a van of that size the tow car must
be over 3.5 ton.
A neighbor of mine towed one back from Cornwall with a Shogun last
year (brought it to live in while extending their house) they got
stopped by the rozzers five times.

Lenny

Old August 8th 05, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

"Tox O'Grady" wrote in message

[...]

The Warden on a site where we stayed recently had a big twin axle Hobby and
towed it with a Land Cruiser. He had raised the width problem with the Dept
responsible for the "construction and use" regs and also with the Police.
The ministry told him that yes by the letter of the law he could not tow a
2.5m wide van with a vehicle weighing less than 3.5T. If this was enforced
however, then other European drivers would be permitted in the UK to tow
large vans with cars, while we are not. Good one for the Eurosceptics!

The Police, first of all after denying there was a problem said in their
local (I don't where) experience they had never prosecuted someone for
towing a van over the appropriate width limit.

However, he had not spoken to his insurance company and I suspect they might
use the law as an excuse to avoid payment should either the van or car not
comply with the appropriate regs. Most of us would no doubt say that towing
a two ton van with a width of 2.5m is safer in a big 4x4 than a transit with
not more than a feather over the back wheel and cart type suspension, but
then insurance companies and common sense don't always go together.

I thought it was only in Germany that wide vans were VAT exempt. I must be
wrong.

Jim

Old August 9th 05, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

....it makes you think whats the pitfalls about twin axle vans.

Need 3.5 tonne towtruck in UK. Not in continental Europe though (so much for
EU standardisation).
Hobby vans are much sought after by the pikey fraternity.
Standard spec is pretty basic compared to English caravans.
Many French sites don't allow twin axle caravans. A non discriminatory term,
meaning "No pikeys." (Gitanes or Nomads over there).
DaveK.

Old August 15th 05, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

1. It's not strictly legal to tow with a 'car' (Transit van is OK!).

Actually, almost all Transit vans are not OK. Only the 4300kg ELWB (Extra
Long Wheel Base) models are OK. They are really quite large, well on the way
to being a 7500kg box van.

Christian.