Difinitive answer caravans over 7 metres.

Old August 6th 05, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ivan Andrusiak

Default Difinitive answer caravans over 7 metres.

(for Tom and Darren at Stowford Farm. Get the tape measure out!)

Well I have done my bit of research and have satisfied myself that I will be
lawfully towing my new caravan which, is 8 metres long including the draw
bar. Dave @ Home, was quite right when he made mention of the construction
and use regulations.
I contacted the Department of Transport, who sent me a fact sheet,
'Requirement for trailers', dated December 2004. I quote the following:-
" If the towing vehicle has a permissible gross weight in excess of 3.5
tonnes the maximum width and length are 2.55 metres and 12 metres
respectively. If however the gross weight of the towing vehicle is 3.5
tonnes or less then the maximum permissible width and length are 2.3 metres
and 7 metres respectively. In both cases the overall length of the towing
vehicle and trailer must not exceed either 18m or 18.75m depending on the
type of towing vehicle.
The definition in Con & Use of the overall length of a trailer makes it
clear that the coupling device and drawbar are not included in the length
dimension. In the case of a caravan where a protective box is mounted on to
the front which is supported on the draw bar for the purpose of storage gas
tanks, for example, this box is included in the overall length.".

With regard to insurance for recovery of your caravan over 7 metres, the
contributor, who suggested that your car insurer, may be able to provide
adequate cover was also right. 'Green Flag' they have no limit on the length
and seems to be the favourite, and as my car insurer, provides this benefit
for an additional premium of 80, I will probably take this when the need
arises. By the way, many of the insurers definition of 7 metres, included
the draw bar in that length.

I hope this has made sense and has been of use.

Regards
Ivan

Old August 6th 05, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 10:08:09 GMT, "Ivan Andrusiak"
wrote:

With regard to insurance for recovery of your caravan over 7 metres, the
contributor, who suggested that your car insurer, may be able to provide
adequate cover was also right. 'Green Flag' they have no limit on the length
and seems to be the favourite, and as my car insurer, provides this benefit
for an additional premium of 80, I will probably take this when the need
arises. By the way, many of the insurers definition of 7 metres, included
the draw bar in that length.

I needed to change my breakdown cover, I phoned Green Flag a month ago they told me max lenght 6.4 m including the draw bar.

Lenny

Old August 6th 05, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Ivan Andrusiak" wrote in message
[...]

Just as a matter of interest , I've recently received my renewal notice from Green
Flag , its got the double jeopardy clause as it via the Caravan Club .

The cost of renenewal 62.00 for the next year.

I've used them once this year when the Fan Belt snapped on the M65 , they were
with me in less than 20 Mins.

DieSea

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0531-4, 05/08/2005
Tested on: 06/08/2005 19:56:49

Old August 6th 05, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 19:56:47 +0100, "DieSea"
wrote:

Just as a matter of interest , I've recently received my renewal notice from Green
Flag , its got the double jeopardy clause as it via the Caravan Club .

The cost of renenewal 62.00 for the next year.

I've used them once this year when the Fan Belt snapped on the M65 , they were
with me in less than 20 Mins.

I take it that's similar to RAC via the CC&C no length restrictions,
at that price I assume only UK cover?

Lenny

Old August 6th 05, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

I take it that's similar to RAC via the CC&C no length restrictions,
at that price I assume only UK cover?

Lenny

Yes UK cover only , but can be upgraded to continental Europe so I'm told .

But don't know the cost.

DieSea

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0531-4, 05/08/2005
Tested on: 06/08/2005 21:42:12