Service areas

Old August 7th 05, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

Default Service areas

Anyone know which of the following service areas are good if towing a
caravan.

1. South Mimms (Welcome Break) on M25

2. Fleet Service Area (Welcome Break) on M3

3.Popham Service Area on A303

4. Exeter Service Area (Moto) on M5

5. Kennford Service Area on A38

6. Harcombe Cross Services on A38

Richard

Old August 7th 05, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sarah and Lloyd

Exeter services is a good clean service station with plenty of
parking....also lots of goo lay byes on the A roads at the end of the M5
should you just be looking for a short stop.

Lloyd

Old August 7th 05, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Richard wrote:

Anyone know which of the following service areas are good if towing a
caravan.

1. South Mimms (Welcome Break) on M25

2. Fleet Service Area (Welcome Break) on M3

3.Popham Service Area on A303

4. Exeter Service Area (Moto) on M5

5. Kennford Service Area on A38

6. Harcombe Cross Services on A38

Richard

I haven't had any experience of most of them - but I always avoid Exeter
Services like the plague - even when solo! They are off to one side,
accessed via a horrendous roundabout under the motorway - with lots of exits
and merging traffic - and very confusing signs. It can easily take 10
minutes to get in or out at busy times even if you can work out which lane
you need to be in!

Although I haven't been there for a long time, my recollection is that South
Mimms is very similar - being at the intersection of the M25 and A1(M) -
again with a large multi-exit roundabout for getting in and out.

If instead of M3/A303 you were to go along the M4 and join the M5 at
Bristol, you'd find several nice service areas between Bristol and Exeter -
but that may add a few miles to your journey - although it would avoid the
bit of the M25 between the M4 and M3 which was 40mph for a long, long time
(not sure whether it still is).
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old August 7th 05, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith Dunbar \(2\)

I agree about South Mimms - the caravan area is poorly and confusingly
signposted, and inadequate in size.

Keith

Old August 7th 05, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sarah and Lloyd

i dont agree about exeter, in all the times have have driven to it I have
gone straight in, never ten minutes to get in or out. I have however been
cued on the slow lane to get into services on the M5 between Bristol and
Exeter, I think like many things it dpend on the time of day, day of the
week, and whenever in the year you are traveling.

We make the journey down every couple of months from Leeds to Falmouth and
have quite a lot of experience of the whole stretch on the M5

Would say though that M5 does have some nice services, only trouble with all
of them is that its legalised mugging...

never been so blatantly ripped off in my life, nice tip if going in to
corwall, on other side of exeter there is a nice big Sainsburys, cheap food,
cheap petrol and a god big car park!!

Lloyd and Sarah

Old August 7th 05, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Richard" wrote in message
Anyone know which of the following service areas are good if towing a caravan.

1. South Mimms (Welcome Break) on M25

2. Fleet Service Area (Welcome Break) on M3

3.Popham Service Area on A303

4. Exeter Service Area (Moto) on M5

5. Kennford Service Area on A38

6. Harcombe Cross Services on A38

Richard

Stopped at Hilton Park yesterday , usual requirements , wife's tells me she's not
a camel !

Looked at the price of a couple of cups of coffee nearly 4.00 for both , so we
resorted to a flask.

Don't the people who run the services know that if the reduce the prices the
number of their paying customers will increase.

DieSea

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0531-4, 05/08/2005
Tested on: 07/08/2005 13:50:14