Residential Sites and Large Motorhomes - A few questions...

Old August 7th 05, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mark P

Default Residential Sites and Large Motorhomes - A few questions...

Hello All,

I am new to this group, I have read quite a lot of the older messages,
but I have been unable to find answers to these questions below. If
anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

Put simply, my plan is this. Currently, i am living in Japan, and
during my time out here, it seems like the UK has got itself into
rather a housing crisis, especially for first time buyers like myself.
With very few cheap homes worth considering, my dream was to rent a
plot on a residential site, and put a large american style motorhome on
it, and live there as my main residence along with my wife.

From what it seems so far, sites must have a residential licence to

allow their users to actually live on them. It seems they are few and
far between in Devon and Cornwall. Also, a lot of those sites are in
fact 'park home' sites having fixed portacabin style homes on them,
which wasn't really what i was looking for.

The question is, is this even remotely possible? Has anyone done such a
thing, especially in the Devon or Cornwall area. I would be interested
to know.

Failing that, with land being a good investment, would it ever be
possible to buy a piece of land, and get planning permission (which i
hear is awfully difficult) to put a single motorhome as a permanent
residence on it? or do planning rules and regulations (and attitudes to
those with moveable homes) make that almost impossible?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Old August 7th 05, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steptoe

Best regards, Steptoe

"Mark P" wrote in message
ups.com...

Failing that, with land being a good investment, would it ever be
possible to buy a piece of land, and get planning permission (which i
hear is awfully difficult) to put a single motorhome as a permanent
residence on it? or do planning rules and regulations (and attitudes to
those with moveable homes) make that almost impossible?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Mark,

Several groups of 'travellers' have tried this, with much opposition from
local communities; therefore I suspect few, if any, planning authorities
would grant permission.

I have considered this situation myself, and if I was in this position would
take advantage of my home being mobile, and circulate round the CL's in my
preferred area, you may know that you are permitted to stay for a maximum of
a month at a time. You may find, in time, that building a relationship with
a sympathetic owner would result in a slight deflection of the rules, a not
unlikely senario in my experience.

Best regards, Steptoe

Old August 9th 05, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mark P

Thanks for your reply, i had a feeling that might be the case!

I guess touring might be the best option, I could easily rent a PO Box
for mail, but it'll take some thinking about.

Cheers!

Mark