France latest

Old August 8th 05, 01:23 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alec

Default France latest

Just come back from 2 weeks in France, mainly Disneyland and Grand-Bornard.
Thanks for the recommendations for the latter - Camping L'Escale was superb
and very welcoming, though naturally packed.
Diesel on autoroutes now between 1.08 and 1.18 euro, at hypermarkets 1.029
(Calais), 1.049 (Savoie) and 0.992 near Paris (Torcy). British chip and pin
cards now work at almost all c&p terminals at checkouts, restaurants and
shops. Sometimes the transaction takes a little longer but eventually goes
through. Didn't try at petrol pumps, but at station essence kiosks we were
always asked to sign rather than use the pin, even though c&p worked at the
same store. So there seem to be still some anomalies, but it's getting a lot
better. Security checks at Dover by Kent Police after French passport
control - mainly routine. None at Calais, but queues soon build up for
British immigration - best to allow 30 min for check-in at peak times.

Alec

Old August 8th 05, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Frank Smith

Alec wrote:
[...]

Further to the above, I've just had a fortnight at Camping Le Bohat
Camping South Brittany. I found that your pin number was required
everywhere and was disappointed because I couldn't use my Caravan Club
Credit card (No additional charge for using it overseas) because I
didn't know the pin for it and had to use Mint. I found cheapest sans
plomb 95 was at Le Clerc at 1.189 per litre. It's cheap at Esso Express
also. No problems with security at Cherbourg. I saw a few speed cameras
this time which I had never noticed before. There is a sign prior to
reaching the camera warning of there presence but the cameras are not
easy to spot. They are on the central reservation,low down and
rectangular in shape and have a bit of reflective tape around the rear
edges.

Frank

Frank

Old August 8th 05, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mr X

In article , Frank Smith
writes

I saw a few speed cameras
this time which I had never noticed before. There is a sign prior to
reaching the camera warning of there presence but the cameras are not
easy to spot.

They are easy to spot if you know what they look like!

They are generally at ground level, they point towards the oncoming
driver and are tilted slightly upwards, and they flash in your face!

But if you are driving on UK plates you are unlikely to get a ticket.

They seem to be put up in increasing numbers but there are always
warning signs about 100 metres before the camera...
--
Mr X

Old August 8th 05, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
What

Mr X wrote:
In article , Frank Smith
writes

I saw a few speed cameras
this time which I had never noticed before. There is a sign prior to
reaching the camera warning of there presence but the cameras are not
easy to spot.

They are easy to spot if you know what they look like!

There is no secret about them see
http://www.securiteroutiere.gouv.fr/...s/csa/csa.html

Old August 8th 05, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alec

"Mr X" wrote in message
In article , Frank Smith
writes

I saw a few speed cameras
this time which I had never noticed before. There is a sign prior to
reaching the camera warning of there presence but the cameras are not
easy to spot.

They are easy to spot if you know what they look like!

They are generally at ground level, they point towards the oncoming
driver and are tilted slightly upwards, and they flash in your face!

But if you are driving on UK plates you are unlikely to get a ticket.

They seem to be put up in increasing numbers but there are always
warning signs about 100 metres before the camera...

Yes, the warning says something like 'This is for your safety' - a bit like
our 'Safety' Partnership?
Unleaded 95 Ron at 1.189 euro (82.3p) is just about the cheapest you can
get.

Alec

Old August 9th 05, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Brook

0.80euro/litre gazole in Luxumberg 2 weeks ago (Cheapest we saw in 6
countries)
1.05e in rural France(alps region).

Black Forest (Germany!) much cheaper for holidaying in general than
France this year.

Cheers
Dave