France Again

Old August 10th 05, 06:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

Default France Again

Does anyone know the latest position regarding dipped headlights during
daytime in France. I heard mention that they were to be tried in certain
areas and then that it was to be the whole country?

Stewart

Old August 10th 05, 07:10 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Stewart" wrote in message
Does anyone know the latest position regarding dipped headlights during
daytime in France. I heard mention that they were to be tried in certain
areas and then that it was to be the whole country?

It's not compulsory but in an attempt to make it appear so plod there has
deemed it an invitation to stop you if you haven't got your lights on.

Rgds

Andy R

Old August 10th 05, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mr X

In article , Andy R
writes

"Stewart" wrote in message

Does anyone know the latest position regarding dipped headlights during
daytime in France. I heard mention that they were to be tried in certain
areas and then that it was to be the whole country?

It's not compulsory but in an attempt to make it appear so plod there has
deemed it an invitation to stop you if you haven't got your lights on.

But is that what really happens, Andy?

Do French plod really stop people that much? Or at all?
--
Mr X

Old August 10th 05, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nick \(Scots\)

"Stewart" wrote in message

Does anyone know the latest position regarding dipped headlights during
daytime in France. I heard mention that they were to be tried in certain
areas and then that it was to be the whole country?

Not as far I saw. Drove from NE france all the way to the pyrenees and back.
Plenty of gendarmes, especially around the TDF in Ax les thermes.

Nick

Old August 10th 05, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alec

"Andy R" wrote in message

"Stewart" wrote in message
Does anyone know the latest position regarding dipped headlights during
daytime in France. I heard mention that they were to be tried in certain
areas and then that it was to be the whole country?

It's not compulsory but in an attempt to make it appear so plod there has
deemed it an invitation to stop you if you haven't got your lights on.

In my 17 days in France recently, I didn't see a single car with daytime
headlights on. And in spite of warnings about increased police vigilance,
very little evidence of it, though drivers speed less (no 100 mph+ BMWs on
autoroutes). And there're as yet no rules to carry high visibility vests in
cars, though widely sold in hypermarkets (around 5 euro each) - compulsory
in Spain and Italy thus far.

Alec

Old August 10th 05, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 06:33:37 +0000 (UTC), "Stewart"
wrote:

Does anyone know the latest position regarding dipped headlights during
daytime in France. I heard mention that they were to be tried in certain
areas and then that it was to be the whole country?

Stewart

Its only a recommendation but the police did state they would pull
cars over without lights.

Last month we drove down to Italy & reckon about 1 in 50 French
drivers had their lights on (plus me) & in very heavy rain with poor
visibility this increase to about 1 in 25.

I don't know the legal position in Italy but 60 - 70% of cars had
their lights on.

Lenny