Gas consumption

« - | - »

Old August 10th 05, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Rooney

Default Gas consumption

Can anyone give me a rough idea how long a 6kg bottle of propane
should last, please?
I won't be using the heater - just the fridge and a bit of cooking and
boiling kettles each day.
And if I use it to heat the water too?

"I always knew the entire Green party were nutters" - Ken Livingstone
Old August 10th 05, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Paul Rooney wrote:

Can anyone give me a rough idea how long a 6kg bottle of propane
should last, please?
I won't be using the heater - just the fridge and a bit of cooking and
boiling kettles each day.
And if I use it to heat the water too?

I would say at least a couple of weeks without the water heating - and a bit
less with.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old August 10th 05, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:33:24 +0100, Paul Rooney
wrote:

Can anyone give me a rough idea how long a 6kg bottle of propane
should last, please?
I won't be using the heater - just the fridge and a bit of cooking and
boiling kettles each day.
And if I use it to heat the water too?

I can't comment about a 6kg bottle but gas usage overall might be
worthwhile. I use a 13kg propane baottle with a 6 kg as spare used
only whilst I change the bigger bottle. I put a 13 kg bottle in at the
end of my June Holiday 2003, and then next changed it at during my
August holiday in 2004, and that one I replaced midway through my June
holiday in 2005. So the two bottles lasted approximately 130 nights
over two years, using the water heater on gas only when necessary and
the fridge continually over 40 of those nights. The hob and the oven
or grill would be used at least once a day over thefull 130 night
period, Then there would be some usage of the gas room heater say for
about 20 hours over the time and you can get an impression of how long
the gas will last.
(remove the spam to reply)

Old August 10th 05, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Rooney

wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I'm off for my first trip in a couple of hours. I think I've
got everything, and if I haven't then I'll soon find out!

"I always knew the entire Green party were nutters" - Ken Livingstone

Old August 10th 05, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Thornber

In message , Paul Rooney
writes
Can anyone give me a rough idea how long a 6kg bottle of propane
should last, please?
I won't be using the heater - just the fridge and a bit of cooking and
boiling kettles each day.
And if I use it to heat the water too?

This was going to be very long-winded, so I'll leave out the
calculations, but by my reckoning, your appliances should be rated more
or less as follows:
Electrolux fridge on 'high' = 0.21Kw
Large hob burner = 1.6Kw
Small hob burner = 1.0Kw
3Kw gas fire on 'full blast' = 3Kw (obviously)
Cascade II water heater = 1.2Kw when running, using (I'm guessing here)
somewhere in the region of 1Kwh to heat each tank of water from cold.

A 6Kg bottle of propane contains roughly 83Kwh of energy. The figure
for a 7Kg butane bottle is around 95Kwh

So work out the number of hours you'll use each appliance per day and
multiply that by the kilowatt ratings I've given above. Divide 83 by
the total you come up with, and that's how many days the bottle should
last.

Figures are based on:
The Electrolux RM212F fridge manual.
Cramer hob manual
Conversion figures from
http://www.beacon-stoves.co.uk/downl...version_factor
s.pdf
and
http://www.iprocessmart.com/techsmart/conversions.htm
And assumes that my maths is right, which it may well not be.
--
David Thornber

« - | - »