Spare wheel warning

Old August 11th 05, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

Default Spare wheel warning

If like me your car's spare wheel is in an under slung carrier - check
that it can be released when the towbar is fitted.
Today - thinking ahead as I have been caught before with other vehicles
that when the bolt release has not been used for a long period it
tends to corrode, I intended to remove the spare wheel and grease the
bolt as the car is now 18 months old and the spare has never been
removed, but with the towbar in place there is insufficient ground
clearance to remove the spare when the car is standing on almost level
ground and all road wheels fully inflated (much less if one of the rear
ones was flat) - simple solution I thought - jack up the rear of the car
- where is the jack? - inside the spare!
So if you have the same problem ensure that a jack is in an accessible
location. - Car in question = Picasso. Towbar was fitted when the
vehicle was purchased new as a 'freebie'

Roy
Old August 11th 05, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Roy" wrote in message
If like me your car's spare wheel is in an under slung carrier - check
that it can be released when the towbar is fitted.

And you know that when the need arises it will be blowing a gale, dark and
raining.
Underslung spare wheels are diabolical in any event. Get covered in road
muck, can't check the tyre pressure easily, difficult to remove, easily
nicked by your namesake with bolt croppers and you have to lie on the ground
to get it back in the carrier.
The Xantia has similar.It might be necessary to slacken off the securing
bolt a long way, then lie on your back and push the carrier upwards away
from the hook, which can then be pushed back to create some space to lower
it. At that point all the weight of the carrier and wheel (with the jack and
tools inside) descend on your arm.
Maybe Green Flag will turn out for it, if your all dressed up.
DaveK.

Old August 11th 05, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

davek said the following on 11/08/2005 13:35:
"Roy" wrote in message

[...]

Previous car was a Xantia - same limited space but raising the
suspension let the wheel out but much harder to replace lifting higher
at arms length

Roy

Old August 11th 05, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Roy wrote:

[...]

Since we're in a caravanning NG, has anyone needed to get at their caravan
spare wheel in an Alko spare wheel carrier when the caravan tyre on the
carrier side is flat? That's hardly a bundle of fun!
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old August 11th 05, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Hitch Lock came up with the following;:
Roy wrote:

[...]

We had to once on the M25.

But I carry a trolley jack and the Landrover has a bottle jack as standard,
so it was just as easy, I guess, as it would be anyway ...

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old August 11th 05, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
liz hall

Thanks for the warning, we are umming and ahhing about adding a spare wheel
carrier to the back of the van as our van is quite nose heavy, but I did not
like the idea of my husband getting under there in the pooring rain and
getting the spare wheel out, can you tell me does it get mucky.
Liz