Mondeo 12V Socket

Old August 11th 05, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith Dunbar \(2\)

Default Mondeo 12V Socket

Not strictly a caravanning question, but is it possible to easily rewire the
rear 12V socket in a 2003 Mondeo so that it is controlled by the ignition?

Old August 11th 05, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Keith Dunbar (2)" wrote in message
Not strictly a caravanning question, but is it possible to easily rewire
the rear 12V socket in a 2003 Mondeo so that it is controlled by the
ignition?

If it's a trailer socket (12S) it's already wired for running the fridge-red
cable,ignition circuit powered through a relay.
If it's just a single socket for road lights on eg: a luggage trailer (12N)
you could take a cable from an ignition live source (glovebox lamp is
favourite) to a relay with heavy cable direct from battery to No 5 connector
in the socket. Used to be used for powering the fridge in the old days when
things were much more simple (and it all worked ok).
Depends what you want to power with the ignition controlled circuit. Just
for charging a battery whilst on the move I never had a relay and wired it
straight from the car battery. Not a problem so long as your car battery is
well charged. If the trailer battery is more powerful, starter current will
be drawn and blow the inline fuse (no fuse? meltdown).
If it's to power a fridge or similar heavy current draw, a relay is
essential.
DaveK

Old August 11th 05, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Thornber

In message , "Keith Dunbar
(2)" writes
Not strictly a caravanning question, but is it possible to easily rewire the
rear 12V socket in a 2003 Mondeo so that it is controlled by the ignition?

I don't know if there's a sufficiently beefy 12v ignition switched feed
in there, so I couldn't say whether you can do it with a quick rewire.
You could take a conventional relay, switched from a lower powered
'ignition live' source and use that to break the positive feed to the
lighter.

You might get away with cheating and using a 'split charge' relay (of
the variety that you use to power the 12S electric socket) and just
wiring one of the switched outputs in-line with the socket. It largely
depends on the loads you're trying to pull from the socket and the
amount of voltage drop they cause - you could end up with the relay
cycling in and out. If you're doing this because you want a gizmo to
run only when the engine is on (as opposed to doing it for safety
reasons) then you could build something similar with a lighter plug on
one end and a socket on the other, and save mucking around with the
car's trim and wiring.

If you want to run a 12v appliance (e.g. cool box) without killing your
battery, then there are gizmos available specifically to do this.
They're another kind of voltage sensing relay, but they trip out on a
lower voltage than the ones for the towing electrics. The theory is
that they'll let your device run even if the engine is off, but never
take the battery too low to start the car. I bought one from Maplin a
few months ago for a fiver, but I think that was a special offer price.
--
David Thornber

Old August 11th 05, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith Dunbar \(2\)

Sorry, I wasn't clear - I'm not talking about 12S or 12N sockets, but the
"cigarette lighter" type socket in the luggage compartment

Old August 11th 05, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith Dunbar \(2\)

It is running a cool box I'm thinking of - what is the name of the gizmo
you're talking about - that sounds exactly what I need?

Old August 11th 05, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Thornber

In message , "Keith Dunbar
(2)" writes
It is running a cool box I'm thinking of - what is the name of the gizmo
you're talking about - that sounds exactly what I need?

Here's the critter on their website, though I got it from one of the
shops

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...7962&doy=11m8D

I'm currently just using it as an extension lead because all of my car's
sockets are ignition switched (even the one in the boot!) But I did
make one of these for myself a few years back, before you could actually
buy them. It worked great, except that when the unit switched off to
save the battery, the rise in voltage on the rest of the system
triggered the voltage drop sensor on the alarm (which obviously just
sensed change rather than drop.) It did this two nights running, at 3am
on both occasions. I disconnected the box after that.

So it should be great, as long as your car doesn't have a voltage drop
sensor on the alarm.
--
David Thornber