Vehicle suggestions

Old August 12th 05, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

Default Vehicle suggestions

Why not get a 740 Volvo estate? They can be had for under 1000 with full
service history and if you get a GLE model with 2.3 Litre engine (fuel
injected) you will have an excellent tow barge. They can be had with leather
upholstery (very hardwearing) and automatic or manual with overdrive. If you
fancy a bit more power then the 760 Turbo or GLE or even Turbodiesel will
probably suit you down to the ground. The diesels get up to 35 mpg but will
even tow your house without much bother!! Towing mpg is not a lot (22-25)
for the petrol models but if looked after your running costs are very small.
I would suggest one from 1989 - 1991 range or perhaps an early 940 to 1993
(GLE or SE) with 2.3 Litre engine (not 2Litre as it is a little gutless for
towing unless it is turbo version).

All the best, Peter.

wrote in message
Hi all,

We're new to caravaning and need a cheap vehicle for towing. Looks /
comfort is not an issue so I thought about a Ford Transit van.

We've got 1500 max to play with, can anyone offer some advice?

Thanks....

Old August 12th 05, 12:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Shuttleworth

Been using Volvo estates for years for towing the van - can't beat em for
the money!

I had a very nice 940 turbo estate until recently, but it was loosing money
and not being used enough (wife has a golf for day to day use), so I sold it
and bought an immaculate 740 estate for 500. It has leather, aircon,
alloys, electric everything. It's a 2.3 non turbo, it's not very quick and
it's as exciting as custard to drive, but it's reliable, very comfortable
and absolutely brilliant at towing the van. It's not even that thirsty!

Nonetheless, I bought an LPG kit and converted it, so it's cheaper than a
diesel to run now and tends to get used a lot as a runaround.

Would recommend a 740 over a 940. 940 is a better ride, but a lot more
complicated and less reliable. Turbos are good and powerful, but very
thirsty with a van on the back (15mpg at best). 89 F plate cars seem to
last best and keep going for 250-300,000miles. Look out for rust, anything
significant, just walk away - there'll be another 10 in the paper next week.
They don't generally rust at all, so if you see one that is rotting, it's
probably been in the sea or something (popular for boat towing too).

Hope you find what you want.

Steve

PS, also seen loads of signs at sites saying 'No Vans'