Compass Commodore 420/2 se 1984 vintage :Help with BRAKES

Old August 12th 05, 08:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Long tall ugly

Default Compass Commodore 420/2 se 1984 vintage :Help with BRAKES

Hi All,

Can some one help me with the adjustment of the brakes, I cannot seem
to get it correct, the brakes are touching on 1click of the hand brake
and aparantly this is wrong according to HAYNES.
Shoes are good and adjusted up and slacked off to wheel turning,giving
aprox 5mm slack in cable(this is correct re HAYNES).
Adjust main brake rod so pawl is just touching draw bar this then has
the effect of taking out the slack on the cables so the brakes act too
quickley on the hand brake.
Ther is only one support strap for the rod near the front,no signs of
strap further back...rod seems to hang on the cables at the back...
should there be a spring pulling the rod back.

Its frustrating me....I used to be a motor mechanic and I know the
shows are adjusted correctly..I am missing some thing...is it because
its a caravan and I cannot use my motor knwledge on it?

Please help before I go insane.

Thanks

John

Old August 12th 05, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Long tall ugly" wrote in message
Hi All,

Can some one help me with the adjustment of the brakes,

1984 van. Is it the B&B system with automatic reverse system? (you don't
need to throw a lever to stop the brakes operating when you back up). Having
said that, my 1983 Swift Cottingham had auto reverse so I guess yours is
similar.There should be a support strap about halfway along the underside of
the van. It's to keep the brake operating rod horizontal. Adjust the brakes
by (always) turning the wheel in the forward direction whilst clicking the
adjuster until they bind. Give the handbrake a couple of good yanks to
centralise the shoes. Do it again, then slack off one click, or enough to
stop them binding. The handbrake should just start to drag on the second or
third click of the handbrake pawl. On the first click, the brakes will come
on when you turn corners or decelerate slightly so you need that bit extra
slack.
The handbrake is adjusted at the linkage where two threaded rods are held in
a tube with a spring connector. The idea is that the spring is supposed add
a bit of stored energy to the brake rod-if the van starts to move when
uncoupled from the car.
Adjust the (right and left hand threaded) nuts to get the correct adjustment
at the handbrake.
The cables to the balance link on the axle must be adjusted so that the arms
are in line,- not angled which would cause uneven braking.
Get on with it- it's going to rain.
DaveK.

Old August 12th 05, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"davek" wrote in message

"Long tall ugly" wrote in message
Hi All,

Can some one help me with the adjustment of the brakes,

1984 van. Is it the B&B system with automatic reverse system?

Forgot to mention, the towhitch must be pulled to its maximum forward
position before making adjustments.
DaveK.

Old August 12th 05, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Long tall ugly

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:59:00 +0100, "davek"
wrote:

"davek" wrote in message

"Long tall ugly" wrote in message
Hi All,

Can some one help me with the adjustment of the brakes,

1984 van. Is it the B&B system with automatic reverse system?

Forgot to mention, the towhitch must be pulled to its maximum forward
position before making adjustments.
DaveK.

Thanks for the reply Dave,
Yes indeed I have auto reverse.
Ha! so the rod is 2 pieces is it,that would account for it.
It acts like one rod, turn it at the hitch end and it turns at the
brake end..I supose I will have to take the rod right off and strip
the compression unit and get it working again. Bu---er!!!!
Apart from the water heater sensor not working and the eye level grill
in the top cupboard not working we are nearly finished.
I would dearly like to keep the unit as original as poss but I think
the eye level grill will have to go and I will stick a microwave in
the hole.

Thanks very much for the help its apreciated.

Kind Rgards

John