Whale pump

Old August 15th 05, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin

Default Whale pump

If your pump gets noisy and loses power - check the crimped connections in
the socket - they can come adrift!

Cheaper than a new pump!

Old August 17th 05, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul King

In ,
Martin struck the keyboard in a random fashion and came
up with:
If your pump gets noisy and loses power - check the crimped
connections in the socket - they can come adrift!

Cheaper than a new pump!

Same thing if it stops suddenly, mysteriously. This year we arrived on site,
filled up with water and purged the system of air. Next time (the VERY next
time) we needed water - no show! No usual pump noise, nowt! Luckily I had
a length of cable connected to a 12v plug. Connecting cable to brass
connections on Whale produced nothing. After opening up the connector I
eventually deduced that one of the crimp connections had gone high
resistance! I re-tightened the crimp, re-assembled and hey presto! -
water.

I must remember to re-solder those crimps!

But it makes me wonder how many people buy a new Whale pump just because it
"fails" without checking thoroughly...

Old August 18th 05, 07:46 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Colloff

On our last trip out I leant the hard way that when a pump fails, it fails.

Symptom, no water; check, no power; check, blown fuse.
Replace fuse. Solved? No water. All as above again and the fuse is blown.

Turns out that the pump had failed by seizing 'solid' or at least with
enough reluctance for the impeller to rotate to cause a rise in current
that blew the fuse.
So not just the cost of a fuse but nearly 40 for a new unit.

On reflection the pump was around 15 years old and well past its use-by
date as the new pump belts the water out so hard we now have noisy pipe
problems.

Fortunately I had decided to thoroughly investigate the blown fuse
problem first thing on Saturday morning which meant the the problem was
solved before lunch and all the shops were closing. A few hours delay
and we would have had a miserable waterless (well you know what I mean)
weekend.

Hope this helps somebody else if the same happens to them. John.

Old August 18th 05, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin

I must remember to re-solder those crimps!

But it makes me wonder how many people buy a new Whale pump just because

it
"fails" without checking thoroughly...

Do not say anything - this is why I have a spare pump!