Leisure Battery Query

Old August 15th 05, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nick \(Scots\)

Default Leisure Battery Query

Hi,

I bought a small leisure battery last yr for
running 12v lights and mini tv.

It does not run anything else.

With my dad's TP2 Pack charger it shows
a good voltage and the black circle in the top
of the battery the green charged-black charge needed
colour is black.

The screw caps have a wee bubbling sound and are slightly
damp, although for low power items, ligths etc it's still ok.

My dad reckons the cell has gone hence the bubbling.

Any ideas ???????

Ta

Nick

Old August 15th 05, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Nick (Scots)" wrote in message

Hi,

I bought a small leisure battery last yr for
running 12v lights and mini tv.

It does not run anything else.

With my dad's TP2 Pack charger it shows
a good voltage and the black circle in the top
of the battery the green charged-black charge needed
colour is black.

The screw caps have a wee bubbling sound and are slightly
damp, although for low power items, ligths etc it's still ok.

My dad reckons the cell has gone hence the bubbling.

Any ideas ???????

Dad could be right.
Bought last year, so will be under warranty, take it back for test and
replacement.

Please reply to News Group

Old August 15th 05, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 12:21:42 GMT, "Nick \(Scots\)"
wrote:

Hi,

I bought a small leisure battery last yr for
running 12v lights and mini tv.

It does not run anything else.

With my dad's TP2 Pack charger it shows
a good voltage and the black circle in the top
of the battery the green charged-black charge needed
colour is black.

The screw caps have a wee bubbling sound and are slightly
damp, although for low power items, ligths etc it's still ok.

My dad reckons the cell has gone hence the bubbling.

Any ideas ???????

Check the TP2 certain models are known to cook batteries.
With a known good battery PD across the terminals (voltage) should not
be more than 14.5v on a flat battery & no more than 13.2v on a fully
charged battery.

Lenny

Old August 15th 05, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nick \(Scots\)

Check the TP2 certain models are known to cook batteries.
With a known good battery PD across the terminals (voltage) should not
be more than 14.5v on a flat battery & no more than 13.2v on a fully
charged battery.

Ah. Thanks. I know the TP2 pack is old, like from the 80's.

Ta

Nick

Old August 15th 05, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Terry

"Nick (Scots)" wrote in message
.. .

Check the TP2 certain models are known to cook batteries.
With a known good battery PD across the terminals (voltage) should not
be more than 14.5v on a flat battery & no more than 13.2v on a fully
charged battery.

Ah. Thanks. I know the TP2 pack is old, like from the 80's.

Ta

Nick

Possibly overcharged?

I was going to make the same point. Some people and chargers over-charge
batteries. Excessive gassing could defintely be an indication of that. Also
if battery gets warm after a short charge.

Also some people don't do a proper calculation of how long to recharge a
battery. One guy said "I put it on charge last week"! He had been pumping
several amps into a 60 amper hour battery for some 200 hours!
That 2 or 3 amps times 200+ hours = 600 ah. Thus overcharging his 60 ampere
hour battery, which probably needed a maximum of say 80 amper hours if falt
when recharge started, by over 600%.
Over-charging often ruins batteries as frequently as leaving a battery
uncharged for months without a refresher or trickle charge and then
wondering why it won't work.
Lead acid batteries are possibly one of the most commonly misunderstood and
abused consumer items. Aazing they work as well as they do!
When you get to other types of battery (Lithium Ion etc.) It gets even more
complicated!
A typical battery has six 2 volt cells in series to give the nominal 12
volts. proper charging voltage is very important; it is possible that one of
the six cells is bad but these days nobody AFIK replaces them. And a bad
cell may indicate rest of the cells are 'On their way out'!
Terry

Old August 15th 05, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

I am surprised that not many of you seem to know that you need a charger
which pumps 4-5 Amps in at the start of the charge which is then state of
charge regulated to give a mere trickle at around 14.0 Volts. In the trickle
state the battery may be left "floating" on this very low charge.

On the White/Green/Black indicator type batteries the Green indicates around
fully charged on a healthy battery. Only real proof of state of charge is a
Voltmeter reading coupled with a hydrometer reading. The test for capacity
has never been bettered than with the high current test across each cell. A
good check on battery capabilities is given by turning the motor over
without ignition and the cell caps/covers off. Should one cell seem to boil
before the others then that one is duff. Also a partially duff cell is given
by the reading on a Voltmeter of 11.2Volts (1.3Volts less than fully charged
off charge reading of 12.5Volts).

All the best, Peter.

"Terry" wrote in message

.. .