Bed Slat Strengthening

Old August 16th 05, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave

Default Bed Slat Strengthening

Hello,

Thought I would share this little tip with those of you who may need it.

I have an Avondale van, the type where the bed slats pull out of a cupboard
at the front and then bridge the gap between the two long front seats.
(Pretty standard set up I think).

Anyway, me and the wife got into the bed one night and one of the bed slat
ends promptly disappeared through the plastic support rail, (we are only
normal sized people!) leaving us with that sinking feeling.

An examination showed that the bed slat end had "burst" through the plastic,
breaking off about three inches of the rail. The rail itself is nothing more
than an upside down squared U-shaped plastic moulding which sits on top of
the front edge of the long seats and supports the bed slats on one side and
the long seat slats on the other. I think after five years of use and
exposure to all kinds of temperatures, it had become brittle.

I went off to Focus DIY and brought a six foot length of 6 inch wide
Contiboard (which they very kindly cut into four equal strips for me), a
packet of No8 x 40mm screws and a pack of plastic screw caps.

Back at the 'van, I took the cushions off the long seats and removed the
seat slats, then using a couple of G cramps, I clamped a length of the wood
to the inside and outside of the seat uprights (just beneath the support
rails) and screwed through from the front, putting a screw cap on each
screw. Superglue took care of repairing the broken plastic rail so as to
maintain "slideability" for the bed slats.

A couple of points -
1. The original Contiboard had two long edges "dressed" with edging strip,
after cutting I used the two edged pieces on the outside and the two unedged
pieces on the inside of the long seats upright.
2. Its worth spending a bit of time measuring and marking the positions of
the screws so that they look like a pro job when finished - you'll spend a
long time looking at your handiwork when using the van!

Result - a REALLY strong re-enforcement job, not only for the bed slats, but
also for the long seat slats. I defy anyone to identify it as a non-original
fitting!

Cost - £9.40 all in + 3 hours grafting.

Hope this might help someone.

Dave E

Derby

Old August 16th 05, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Dave" wrote in message
Hello,

Thought I would share this little tip with those of you who may need it.

snip details

An excellent post, Dave. We'll never need it because the beds in our old
vans aren't that type but I'msure someone else will benefit from it.

Hope this might help someone.

When I see ideas likethis, even if they're not immediately applicable, I
copy the post to a 'caravan' folder so that it's not lost.

Mary

Dave E

Derby

Old August 16th 05, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

Dave, the same sort of thing happened to us in France last year with our 3
year old Bailey Pageant except that the plastic strip did not break; it just
seemed to have widened to such an extent that the slats were so loose a fit
that they slipped off when bent under my weight.
Until I got home from France we had to make do with propping a few bits of
wood under the centre of the slats.
Once home I unscrewed the wooden backing piece and moved it forward to make
a tighter fit for the slats. To do this I fitted 4 extra support blocks
crossing from the bed locker to the back of the plastic rail.
I have wondered about fitting a long centre support to the slats; this would
run from the top centre of the front drop down cupboard and have a trestle
like support ? at the open end, I think if I make it I would use a T piece
of aluminium, a metal tube or 40mm square wood. It could easily be stored
in the bed locker

"Dave" wrote in message
Hello,

snip