Any tips on replacing a roof vent?

Old August 12th 03, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Will Hay

Default Any tips on replacing a roof vent?

I need to remove my roof vent on my 1987-ish ABI Ace Courier.
I've removed the inner mesh screen and can't see any screws holding in the
outer segment so I'm guessing it's fitted externally, right?
I'm a little loathed to remove the existing until I know exactly what I'll
face, simple because whilst it doesn't open it is water-tight and I don't
want to jeopardise that!
Any tips on what kind of job it is, and how best to go about it would be
appreciated.
Many thanks,
Will

Old August 13th 03, 05:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Terry

Will Hay wrote:

I need to remove my roof vent on my 1987-ish ABI Ace Courier.
I've removed the inner mesh screen and can't see any screws holding in the
outer segment so I'm guessing it's fitted externally, right?
I'm a little loathed to remove the existing until I know exactly what I'll
face, simple because whilst it doesn't open it is water-tight and I don't
want to jeopardise that!
Any tips on what kind of job it is, and how best to go about it would be
appreciated.
Many thanks,
Will

I replaced one on a truck camper a few months ago. The then
existing one 'looked' OK. But!
The bed of caulking it sat in looked perfect; but wasn't.
Caulking was old, dried out, cracked and leaked.
Removed the 26 year old screws (which were rusty and which were
replaced by stainless steel about 6 mm longer), there was a whole
lot of them, one every few inches, scraped off old caulking to a
reasonably clean surface and put down a generous new bed of
caulk.
A complete new vent assembly was placed on the caulk bed and
secured by new ss screws down through the roof into the 2 by 2
inch wood framing of the roof. Screws didn't necessarily fall
into the same holes as before but the bed of caulk took care of
that. The slightly longer screws weren't really a necessity but
just in case they had fitted into a previous screw hole the
slight extra length got a better purchase on the rusted wood.
(Yeah I know that's an oxymoron! Old rusted screws removed from
wood that's been wet for a length of time, ...... ! OK?).
We hadn't realized how brittle the cover of old vent was! The
movable plastic part had become almost brown/orange and brittle;
it cracked and shattered very easily (possibly due to Ultra
Violet deterioration of the opaque plastic?).
A slightly different model vent, also of the opening type, nearer
the front of the unit, possibly added by a previous owner doesn't
leak (Amen!) and 'seems' to be in good condition.
The fly screen of the new vent was sort of attached from below
and didn't need to be removed to place the vent; the square
ceiling trim will also fasten up from below with four (or more to
your preference) screws; or I guess you could glue it or staple
it etc. when we have refinished the interior ceiling.
Going back to the beginning, the ceiling had got wet because of
the leakage around the perimeter of the vent! The screws had
rusted because of the wet wood etc.!
"There's a hole in my ...... , dear Liza, etc. etc."
A reasonably easy do it yourself job in this case but there's
always the chance of a complication I s'pose.
IIRC the new vent cost around $36 Canadian, but may have been of
US manufacture? That's roughly 18 to 20 UK pounds including sales
tax. Stainless steel screws and caulking not included.
Terry.
Old August 13th 03, 05:29 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Terry

Will Hay wrote:

I need to remove my roof vent on my 1987-ish ABI Ace Courier.
I've removed the inner mesh screen and can't see any screws holding in the
outer segment so I'm guessing it's fitted externally, right?
I'm a little loathed to remove the existing until I know exactly what I'll
face, simple because whilst it doesn't open it is water-tight and I don't
want to jeopardise that!
Any tips on what kind of job it is, and how best to go about it would be
appreciated.
Many thanks,
Will

Another thought. On some units it appears that you can, from
below, replace the mechanism that winds up the movable part of
the vent. To remove the old winder mechanism you may have to
position it so that its arm can be detached from the moving part.
That may involve unscrewing it, to wangle its detachment, if
that's possible, or even forcing or breaking it but since you are
replacing it anyway!
Might be better solution than complete vent assembly replacement
if the unit otherwise OK and not leaking? IIRC a replacement
winder is about $15 Canadian. (Roughly 8 quid?). Terry again.
Old August 14th 03, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Will Hay

Thanks for all the tips folks, I'm very grateful.
Will

Old August 27th 03, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Will Hay

Bob,
Did you get my e-mail/pictures about the ABI window hinges?
Will