TV Aerials - Just a thought

Old August 16th 05, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sarah and Lloyd

Default TV Aerials - Just a thought

Perhaps I am being a little stupid in thinking this, bus as I see loads of
posts on here regarding how poor those litle flying saucers on top of our
vans are for TV reception, then why do the manufacturers bother putting them
on in the first place.

I am sure there is a simple answer....

Lloyd (who is happy with the little loop aerial on top of his portable
telly!)

Old August 16th 05, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Sarah and Lloyd" wrote in message
Perhaps I am being a little stupid in thinking this, bus as I see loads of
posts on here regarding how poor those litle flying saucers on top of our
vans are for TV reception, then why do the manufacturers bother putting
them on in the first place.

I am sure there is a simple answer....

Lloyd (who is happy with the little loop aerial on top of his portable
telly!)

Hi,
As I have said before in a good reception area my Status is fine.
Remember they are omni-directional, that is they pick up signals from all
directions, vertical and horizontal.
A normal home aerial is directional and either vertical or horizontal and
thus picks up a lot, lot more signal from one transmitter.

Please reply to News Group

Old August 16th 05, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Sarah and Lloyd" wrote in message
Perhaps I am being a little stupid in thinking this, bus as I see loads of
posts on here regarding how poor those litle flying saucers on top of our
vans are for TV reception, then why do the manufacturers bother putting
them on in the first place.

Used to agree with you, but have found that it's all to do with the manner
of installation. Old Challenger was generally poor reception unless in high
strength signal area. My newer Lunar is fine. RTFM as they say, co-ax cables
should be as short as possible, straight runs without kinks and not
alongside mains cables.
(Fridge problems are generally due to incorrect installation by caravan
manufacturers too).
DaveK.

Old August 16th 05, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 11:09:48 GMT, "David" wrote:

| As I have said before in a good reception area my Status is fine.

Sure Status are fine provided that you are always on a site within a few
miles of powerful transmitter. We never had that luxury, so I binned
ours.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk In Case of Emergency
Store the word "ICE" in your mobile phone address book, and
Old August 16th 05, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning